Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

TempDB Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:01 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:29 AM
Also interesting to know that tempdb's log does not behave like normal database logs. It only logs UNDO (for rollbacks) operations and not REDO since there is no need for any recovery during SQL Server startup. TempDb is just recreated from scratch.
Post #971491
Posted Wednesday, August 18, 2010 3:19 PM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 12:33 PM
mtassin (8/18/2010)
webrunner (8/18/2010)

What I am wondering is, if hypothetically this restriction were lifted and one could set the recovery model of tempdb to Full, what would be the impact of a tempdb in Full recovery model on that hypothetical SQL Server system? Would it slow to a crawl, encounter errors, etc.?

Thanks again,
webrunner

You'd defeinately see a performance hit as tempdb's log continued to grow like mad.

After all... Tempdb is the clearing house for just about everything. Order by, Group by, insert, update, delete... all of it goes through there to some degree or other. I've got databases where my t-log backups are close to a GB every 15 minutes... I'm not sure I could take t-log backups fast enough to keep the t-log file for tempdb from growing faster than backups could keep it at a reasonable size.

Thanks! That is what I was curious about. Thanks also to Nils for additional information about the UNDO/REDO logging in tempdb.

- webrunner

-------------------
"Operator! Give me the number for 911!" - Homer Simpson

"A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says 'Can I join you?'"
Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html
Post #971495
Posted Tuesday, August 24, 2010 7:16 AM
SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:34 AM
Thanks for the additional information all! :)
Post #974094
Posted Friday, September 3, 2010 11:03 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:38 AM
Unfortunately it is possible for TempDB to not be in simple recovery mode. Where I recently started as the DBA, they have an instance where someone in the past must have changed the mode to full recovery, then performed the upgrade to 2005. Since in 2005 and 2008 you can't change the recovery mode as someone mentioned, I'm stuck with it in full recovery mode and haven't found a way to change it. Fortunately, the log for this TempDB doesn't seem to grow out of control as was suggested.
Post #980365
Posted Friday, September 17, 2010 1:08 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, August 12, 2013 2:07 PM
We must or should be create database backups of model becuase we never can be happen it for advise
Post #988518
Posted Wednesday, March 7, 2012 2:12 PM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, July 30, 2014 10:52 PM
Thank you for the question.
Post #1263278
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse