Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

How to display a pause and warning message in SSIS Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, May 17, 2012 5:39 AM
I wanted to create a pause with a warning message at the beginning of certain packages due to the potential impact on the database. How would I do this with SSIS?
Post #968982
Posted Friday, August 13, 2010 8:42 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:44 AM
tripower (8/13/2010)
I wanted to create a pause with a warning message at the beginning of certain packages due to the potential impact on the database. How would I do this with SSIS?

You can do that using Msgbox inside activex script task.

BASKAR BV
http://geekswithblogs.net/baskibv/Default.aspx
In life, as in football, you won’t go far unless you know where the goalposts are.
Post #968991
Posted Friday, August 13, 2010 8:43 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:47 AM
A warning message? I don't think SSIS is designed to do that: it runs as a service and doesn't depend on anybody being logged on interactively. If you still wanted to do it, I suppose you can write a VB script (other languages are available) that will pop up a message and wait for aknowledgement from a user. Your only difficulty now is knowing whether there's a user logged on to see it.

John
Post #968994
Posted Friday, August 13, 2010 12:16 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Thursday, May 17, 2012 5:39 AM
OK, I did that with a VB scrip message box that has an OK and Cancel button but how to I cancel execution of the package if the user clicks cancel.
Post #969172
Posted Friday, August 13, 2010 12:35 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:44 AM
tripower (8/13/2010)
OK, I did that with a VB scrip message box that has an OK and Cancel button but how to I cancel execution of the package if the user clicks cancel.

You are mostly using SSIS like a front-end application though SSIS is designed for ETL and it should be used without any user intervention... How you are planning to execute this in production? Because once you schedule this job these warning message only appear in the system where you scheduled it.

Instead if the graph is only for one user and who is going to run this from his machine on demand then it should be fine.

Anyways, u can achieve that using something like below code...

Dim x As MsgBoxResult

x = MsgBox("test message", MsgBoxStyle.YesNo)

If x = MsgBoxResult.Yes Then
Dts.TaskResult = Dts.Results.Success
Else
Dts.TaskResult = Dts.Results.Failure
End If

BASKAR BV
http://geekswithblogs.net/baskibv/Default.aspx
In life, as in football, you won’t go far unless you know where the goalposts are.
Post #969189
Posted Sunday, August 15, 2010 11:59 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:28 AM
Baskar B.V (8/13/2010)
tripower (8/13/2010)

You can do that using Msgbox inside activex script task.

Hello Baskar,

I'm sure that we all BI-developers are of the believe that ETL processess should not include much of UserInteraction as they are a set of automated process.

In this case, Well my approach would be to create Event Handlers as and when necessary so that the package continues to run and log the necessary details as and when the need arises rather than using a messageBox.

I am keen to know if i'm mistaken.

Regards/Raunak
Now a member of Linkedin

Please visit the all new Performance Point Forum
Please visit the all new Data Mining and Business Analytics Forum
Post #969556
Posted Monday, May 30, 2011 2:18 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Friday, May 31, 2013 3:55 AM
Hi,

I wanted to know, if we can obtain/receive (through variable) the warning message, and log in a custom table.

I have created a sql task in onwarning handler, but i dont know, how to obtain the warning.

Could you help me out.

Regards,
Vijay
Post #1116898
Posted Tuesday, May 31, 2011 11:46 PM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Sunday, July 20, 2014 11:20 PM
nakvijay (5/30/2011)
Hi,

I wanted to know, if we can obtain/receive (through variable) the warning message, and log in a custom table.

I have created a sql task in onwarning handler, but i dont know, how to obtain the warning.

Could you help me out.

Regards,
Vijay

How is this related to the original topic? Please start-up a new thread.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #1117866
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse