Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Basic Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 2:11 PM
"The most commonly used character encoding on the World Wide Web was US-ASCII[9] until December 2007, when it was surpassed by UTF-8.[10][11][12]"

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII

My gut told me the answer was going to be ASCII because it sounded like a Tech-100 beginners class question.
Post #965052
Posted Friday, August 06, 2010 6:55 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 1:22 PM
I always chuckle when Wikipedia is cited as a reference. Wkipedia, although a nice place to look up stuff (you basically find anything you are looking for), is not always a reliable source, in fact, it is prohibited to be used as a reference in colleges and some schools.
Not to say that the information provided is not correct. There's plenty of instances where you find proper source citation to make it perfectly valid and reliable.

This just reminds me of a Dilbert strip

Post #965105
Posted Friday, August 06, 2010 7:39 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, February 04, 2011 7:20 AM
It's a valid answer and if there actually is supporting documentation for any of the answers, then someone please post it. I doubt that you will find it.

I knew the answer I was going to select before I saw the list, and I got a chuckle out of seeing BCD on the list.

Good Friday QotD. Thanks.

Tom Garth
Vertical Solutions

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
Post #965148
Posted Friday, August 06, 2010 8:29 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 9:30 PM
Interesting question. Thanks

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #965202
Posted Friday, August 06, 2010 1:13 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 7:53 PM
Richard M. (8/6/2010)
I always chuckle when Wikipedia is cited as a reference. Wkipedia, although a nice place to look up stuff (you basically find anything you are looking for), is not always a reliable source, in fact, it is prohibited to be used as a reference in colleges and some schools.
Not to say that the information provided is not correct. There's plenty of instances where you find proper source citation to make it perfectly valid and reliable.

My daughters can't use Wikipedia as a source in their schools, but I tell them it can still be a starting point leading you to more reliable sources that can be used.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #965425
Posted Friday, August 06, 2010 2:19 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, April 08, 2014 1:22 PM
Lynn Pettis (8/6/2010)
Richard M. (8/6/2010)

My daughters can't use Wikipedia as a source in their schools, but I tell them it can still be a starting point leading you to more reliable sources that can be used.

Exactly my point. At least it can give you some idea on how to deepen the search and in some cases also following some sources is helpful ;)

Post #965459
Posted Monday, August 09, 2010 11:10 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 8:46 AM
For anyone that says Unicode, I ask, which one?

UTF-8
UTF-16 (BE by default)
UTF-16BE
UTF-16LE
UTF-32 (BE by default)
UTF-32BE
UTF-32LE

Or, perhaps, late 90's (very archaic) implementations like UCS-2 (used in SQL Server as 'Unicode')?

Post #966125
Posted Monday, August 09, 2010 12:05 PM

Ten Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 11:47 PM
Nadrek (8/9/2010)
For anyone that says Unicode, I ask, which one?

UTF-8
UTF-16 (BE by default)
UTF-16BE
UTF-16LE
UTF-32 (BE by default)
UTF-32BE
UTF-32LE

Or, perhaps, late 90's (very archaic) implementations like UCS-2 (used in SQL Server as 'Unicode')?

Does it matter?
For me UTF-16, any endian. Or any other, distinguished by BOM.

See, understand, learn, try, use efficient
© Dr.Plch
Post #966152
Posted Saturday, August 14, 2010 11:34 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 1:34 AM
Have only just got to this question.

My thoughts: How do you measure "Most Common" ?

Is it how may many Computers use it ? Probably ASCII because of the PC.

Is it how much Data is stored in the Format ? How do you measure the enormous amount of data on IBM Mainframes stored in EBCDIC ?

Is Unicode that Popular ? I usually avoid it where possible in favour of 8 bit ASCII.
Post #969450
Posted Sunday, August 22, 2010 2:34 PM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, January 11, 2013 8:20 AM
Oh what a shortsighted question!

ASCII is a US only standard, hardly usable anywhere else. Ever thought about Europe? Do you really think the French, German, Scandinavian, Czech, Slovak, Slovene, Croatian, Polish, Baltic, Rumanian, Hungarian, Finish, Spanish, Portuguese people could do anything with their computers if they just used ASCII? And they have at least the Latin alphabet!

So what about the several hundred millions of people with Cyrillic alphabet? Do you really think they could use their computers if they had ASCII as the only foundation for coding their text data? And how about Asia? China probably outnumbers both all ASCII users and ASCII data volumes used anywhere in the world, and the Japanese numbers are amazing as well.

Both ASCII and EBCDIC are foundations for better systems at best. The first try was the ISO 8859 family of character sets; it still proofed to be insufficient. Meanwhile Unicode is there and becomes more and more mature. The fact that Microsoft (almost) fully supports Unicode in its modern Windows variants might make Unicode the character set used both by most users and for most data already. Of course you will find the 128 ASCII characters there as well - somewhere among the 100,000 others...

Best regards,
Dietmar Weickert.
Post #973109
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse