Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Houston, we have a problem Expand / Collapse
Author

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:40 AM
Relational databases aren't supposed to be "simple" minded;

The overwhelming cost of a database application usually turns out to be the cost of training, the cost of integrating the data with the rest of the enterprise, and the cost of maintaining the system. Saving the cost of the actual database system turns out to be an irrelevance. Some of the most expensive database systems I've come across have been intended as the 'cheapest'. There are good reasons for choosing a Cloud solution but saving costs isn't necessarily one of them

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Post #962222
Posted Monday, August 9, 2010 2:44 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:50 AM
Microsoft ruined their one decent database design tool when they bought out Visio - it was great before they got their mitts on it especially for object role modelling design and then they seemed to deprecate this and removed the "create database from model" facility. I still have Visio 2000 around because it worked.
Post #965777
Posted Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:12 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:12 PM
< sigh > I miss create from model....

Post #970754
Posted Tuesday, August 17, 2010 3:37 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, October 3, 2014 2:23 AM
rbalmf (8/1/2010)
Sure, we've invested so much money and 10 hard years learning this stuff that we just have to use it right?

You're entitled to your opinion of course, strange COBOL analogy notwithstanding, but if you look at the rise of cloud environments more widely you will see that there is a shift happening towards simpler storage models (BigTables, Azure Tables etc.) because they scale more easily and don't require DB Ninjutsus to get the best out of them.

I'm sure there will still be a place for you Old-Skool data guys but that place will be within the cloud, maintaining the platform, not developing software.

And I for one will be glad. :)

Nice troll, I give it an 8.

Post #970762
Posted Tuesday, August 17, 2010 5:01 PM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Thursday, September 11, 2014 12:01 PM
Phil Factor (8/2/2010)
Relational databases aren't supposed to be "simple" minded;

The overwhelming cost of a database application usually turns out to be the cost of training, the cost of integrating the data with the rest of the enterprise, and the cost of maintaining the system.

(This thread did a Lazarus today, so I'll contribute again.) That's the latest craze, Enterprise Master Data Management. Pays real good, too; from what I hear.
Post #970806
Posted Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:19 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Saturday, October 18, 2014 6:16 PM
The SQL Server Modeling technologies, presently in CTP, aim to provide significant productivity gains across the lifecycle of .NET applications by enabling developers, architects, and IT professionals to work together more effectively
The complete set of documentation for the SQL Server Modeling CTP including overviews, tutorials, and technical references for each component technology.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709420.aspx
Post #970825
Posted Wednesday, August 18, 2010 1:44 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Today @ 3:40 AM
The SQL Server Modeling technologies, presently in CTP, aim to provide significant productivity gains across the lifecycle of .NET applications by enabling developers, architects, and IT professionals to work together more effectively
The complete set of documentation for the SQL Server Modeling CTP including overviews, tutorials, and technical references for each component technology.

I'd have a good look at the following article before getting too excited by the CTP. Another piece of Microsoft's Oslo modeling puzzle disappears (Mary Joe Foley) However, it is worth downloading it just to see what happened to poor Oslo. (warning: it expects a local installation of SQLExpress before it will work. It bombs out with an obscure error)

It is interesting to read this Microsoft's Distributed Destination: Oslo and this The Origins of Microsoft's Oslo Software Modeling Platform

Brad Lovering was quoted as saying at the time..
If you’re [a Microsoft] Access user, it will be more familiar to you, let me put it that way.
So, if you kind of think of Access, [Microsoft] Excel, ...” that is an approximation of the tool,
you have to be a little bit careful with that comparison because it could be misleading. I’m trying to give you sort of a general feeling of the center; it is not [Access and Excel], but those are the best approximations I have if you haven’t experienced the tool.
The tool enables users to capture domain knowledge in domain-specific views, And the tool also will be useful for more advanced diagramming, such as enabling the development of BPMN (business process modeling notification) workflows and UML (Unified Modeling Language) services.

Hmmm... Sort of a bit like Eclipse then?

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Post #970959
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse