Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««1234

Index Types Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:36 PM
For everyone that thinks that the BOL reference in the QotD is wrong and that there are just 5 types of indexes: I created a connect item at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/577460/documentation-types-of-indexes to fix the documentation. Please go vote on it.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #957673
Posted Thursday, July 22, 2010 7:43 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:59 PM
WayneS (7/22/2010)
For everyone that thinks that the BOL reference in the QotD is wrong and that there are just 5 types of indexes: I created a connect item at https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/577460/documentation-types-of-indexes to fix the documentation. Please go vote on it.

That's wonderful. So if it gets approved and the BOL is updated, do I get my point that I lost for this QOTD?
Post #957709
Posted Friday, July 23, 2010 5:07 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:36 PM
cengland0 (7/22/2010)
WayneS (7/22/2010)

That's wonderful. So if it gets approved and the BOL is updated, do I get my point that I lost for this QOTD?

No... so far you've already gotten three for the posts in the discussion.

Edit: But, if you go vote for it and it does get approved, you get the satisfaction of knowing you helped change something.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #957876
Posted Friday, July 23, 2010 8:39 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:39 PM
I've added my vote as well and will drop it on Twitter to scrounge for votes.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #958009
Posted Saturday, July 24, 2010 11:13 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, June 19, 2014 6:51 AM
I have added my vote as well.
It would be confusing to get this question on interview, is it? I wouldn't know what is the right answer, probably would give two answers :)
Post #958410
Posted Saturday, July 24, 2010 11:25 AM

SSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:33 PM
magasvs (7/24/2010)
It would be confusing to get this question on interview, is it? I wouldn't know what is the right answer, probably would give two answers :)

I would consider it as an excellent occasion to show off my knowledge of all the various indexes SQL Server uses. I'd probably talk for at least five minutes, cover most (but not all - I'm bound to forget some) index types, never really answer the actual question but still show how much I know about the subject.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #958413
Posted Wednesday, August 11, 2010 6:47 PM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, August 7, 2014 7:57 AM
michael.kaufmann (7/22/2010)
Wayne,

first of all thank you for compiling a QotD.
However, I do not quite agree with the solution.

'Unique' is just taking the definition of a clusterd or non-clustered index a step further.
'with included columns' and 'filtered' again are non-clustered indexes (with advanced features).
So I don't see them as individual types, but sub-types at best.

Hence it comes down to 5 types (why I got it wrong):
- clustered
- non-clustered
- full-text
- spatial
- XML

I assume, though, that this is another wording issue ; nevertheless an excellent lesson having to recap what index types there are.

Thanks,
Michael

I answered 5 as well and I was quite surprised.
Thanks for the QotD anyway.
Always a great reason to learn something new.

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
http://www.softplan.com.br
MCITPx1/MCTSx2
Post #967895
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««1234

Permissions Expand / Collapse