Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Assumptions Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 5:38 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Assumptions

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #949714
Posted Friday, July 9, 2010 1:55 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 9:39 AM
good morning.... assumptions... well, I still find the biggest has to be that the users in work (and out, including neighbours, friends etc) seem to think that all we want to do as IT professionals is talk about computers and tell them how to fix them, and spend many an evening working for free for them.... don't get me wrong, I like giving advice where it's followed and proves successful, but the midnight phone calls complaining about not understanding the advice drive me mad!!! lol
Post #949768
Posted Friday, July 9, 2010 3:12 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:51 AM
1. That users know how to use basic windows and the applications they have e.g. how to maximise a window!

2. That we understand every TLA and buzzword around - too many civil servants talk and write in three letter acronyms and IT people talk in buzzwords.

My favourite was a pompous military man at a meeting who had various items identified as a JIPOD.
Afterwards it turned out that it was a "Jolly important piece of data"
Post #949800
Posted Friday, July 9, 2010 4:49 AM

SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 1:39 PM
That because "we did it that way last time", means we did it correct.

<><
Livin' down on the cube farm. Left, left, then a right.
Post #949840
Posted Friday, July 9, 2010 6:16 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, July 17, 2013 12:22 PM
#1 worst assumption I keep having to overcome:

That what we knew yesterday still applies to or answers today's problems.
Post #949885
Posted Friday, July 9, 2010 6:23 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Friday, December 12, 2014 11:01 AM
from the MCITP exam 70-443 training kit:
'Nuclear Explosions and Meteors are two examples of disasters that you simply will not plan for unless you are in a government agency or an emergency response organisation. Other types of rare and unusual explosions fit into the category of items that are not normally planned for.

Phew. That's one less job for me then.

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Post #949895
Posted Friday, July 9, 2010 6:52 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 6:53 AM
The assumptions I most frequently run into are that DBAs are a "catch all" for any database issue, no matter how remote.

If the word database is used in the description of an issue, then it is a DBA issue. If the name of the company that released a DBMS is used in the description of an issue, then it is a DBA issue, even though that company builds/sells other software.

I also run into the assumption that the DBAs know everything about every application and the way each application uses a database.

When I support a new (to me) database, I have to let go of my assumptions that best practices have been used. Sometimes, valid reasons (political, financial) cause the DBAs to overlook best practices.

Post #949924

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 12:27 PM
Someone wrote a complicated view once. It was used in a stored procedure, but since it didn't have all the columns the proc needed, joined back to the tables that the view was based on to get the necessary additional data. Performance was bad, and when they took the logic of the view and put it directly into the proc where they could get the additional columns, performance was now better. So, boss decreed that views are "bad" and are not to be used. (This happened all before I started working there.)

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #949925

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 7:35 PM
Premo number 1-O:
It must be the database!

Shawn Melton
PS C:\>(Find-Me).TwitterURL
@wsmelton
PS C:\>(Find-Me).BlogURL
meltondba.wordpress.com
Post #949926
Posted Friday, July 9, 2010 7:04 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, November 14, 2014 8:48 AM
The one size fits all backup strategy. Backup strategy driving the recovery instead of recovery needs determining the backup strategy.
Post #949933
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse