Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

TDE and Tempdb Expand / Collapse
Author
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, November 26, 2014 4:10 PM
Thanks for the question, I needed to brush up on my TDE knowledge. Admittedly, the "great" caused me to pause, but I still got it right. As Hugo said yesterday, the QOTD is for learning not for points and for that I thank you.
Post #944711
Posted Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:44 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 5:38 PM
I have removed "great" from the question as it does depend. There is some performance impact, but how much is debatable.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #944720
Posted Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:13 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, December 12, 2014 8:24 AM
Good question. I am glad the great was removed by the time I got to it.
Post #944742
Posted Tuesday, June 29, 2010 9:38 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 3:20 PM
Thanks for the question.

As per the use of the term "Great" - it was gone by the time I answered but here is my 2 bits. The use of the word "great" most likely meant "significant." Granted that definition is also debatable since 3-5% may or may not be a significant amount depending on your environment.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #944760
Posted Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:23 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, September 5, 2014 2:00 PM
Nice question, thanks!

I think little bits like this will help people learn and understand new features like TDE so they are better prepared when they actually need to use it.
Post #944809
Posted Tuesday, June 29, 2010 10:47 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:40 AM
Thanks for your comments and sorry for the confusion on the question, I took a negative meaning "great performance effect" as great performance degrade.

Thanks again for your comments...

Thanks
Jay
http://www.sqldbops.com
Post #944829
Posted Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:15 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, February 1, 2011 10:29 AM
One way performance could be affected is if you use temporary tables. You may have a database which has a stored procedure which uses a temporary table.

I think there are other ways that a database will use the tempdb, but I don't know them offhand.

Cheers,
Matt
Post #944859
Posted Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:21 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Thursday, November 6, 2014 4:16 PM
mattr-846241 (6/29/2010)
One way performance could be affected is if you use temporary tables. You may have a database which has a stored procedure which uses a temporary table.

I think there are other ways that a database will use the tempdb, but I don't know them offhand.

Cheers,
Matt

Hey Matt,
Your right Temp Tables as well as Table Variables, SQL Internal Work tables, the SQL version store, re-indexing jobs that specify sort in tempdb, and many other things are done within the Tempdb for not just TDE databases but for all databases, as well as for SQL internal processes.

Just to repeate though TDE uses the Windows API to encrypt the files on disk. Pages in memory are NOT encrypted, the TempDB files in memory would feel no ill effect from this if they have enough memory to opperate in.

This would effect a server during the checkpoint where all pages are flushed to the disk. Which once again depending on how the server is sized, the load in place, and the volume of users may make a little, a lot, or no difference whatsoever.

Hopefully this will get expanded by Microsoft or on some SQL blogs some where, as there is not a lot of documentation out there on this overall effect right now.

But you were right on in the suggestion that Temp tables could be effected but they would need to be so large that they spill onto the disk as if they are in the memory they should be unaffected.

Twitter: @SQLBalls
Blog: http://www.SQLBalls.com
Post #944866
Posted Thursday, July 1, 2010 8:24 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, December 12, 2014 10:33 AM

I'd be interested in your answer to these questions:

If you're using TDE in a production environment, what do you think you are protecting yourself from?

And are you using TDE on any laptop-based SQL Servers?

Post #946202
Posted Thursday, July 1, 2010 8:37 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 5:38 PM
TDE protects from physical access to the files if SQL is down. If you detach/attach files, they are safe.

You can't run TDE on laptops practically. It's in Enterprise Edition only (a mistake, IMHO)

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #946214
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse