Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Another way to get a table list from a string Expand / Collapse
Author
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:34 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Another way to get a table list from a string
Post #937261
Posted Tuesday, June 15, 2010 7:52 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Thursday, May 2, 2013 9:10 PM
Excellent! I have two other procs that do this but not with such elegance. i will be testing performance of the three versions soon and will add findings. The other versions also return only strings.
I did have to add one more single quote at the end to make it work.
Post #937513
Posted Tuesday, June 15, 2010 12:35 PM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:40 PM
Thanks for the Article.

For further reading, anyone interested in using xml to split strings may be interested in this excellent blog post from Brad Schulz

http://bradsruminations.blogspot.com/2010/01/delimited-string-tennis-again-final.html

in which he describes a few tweaks that really speed things up...

MM

• MMGrid Addin
  • MMNose Addin

• Forum Etiquette: How to post Reporting Services problems
  • Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - by Jeff Moden
  • How to Post Performance Problems - by Gail Shaw

• Post #937758
    Posted Wednesday, June 16, 2010 11:36 AM
    SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:03 PM
    Good parsing technique.

Even though @strDataSet is declared as max, aren't the procedure parameters limited to max length of only 128 characters? That limits the longest string that can be parsed to that limit. Right?
    Post #938445
    Posted Thursday, June 17, 2010 11:13 AM
    Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:29 AM
    This is clever and a little more flexible than some of the other techniques - and useful if all you need to do is return the output directly to the caller. But the weakness is that the dynamic SQL means it can't be moved to a function - using a procedure really limits what you can do with the output. I've had very good results that use a table-valued function and a numbers table to parse lists, and then the TVF results can be used in JOINs and other structs, unlike the output of a stored procedure (which can only be dumped to a temp table if further processing or filtering is required).
    Post #939111
    Posted Monday, August 9, 2010 9:14 AM
    Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, September 6, 2012 4:11 AM
    Is the script correct? When I run it, I got an "Unclosed quotation mark after the character string '" error message. So I commented out the last + ' (that before the EXEC(@STR) statement) and could create the stored procedure.
    After the fix, the stored procedure seems to work fine.
    Best regards
    Post #966036
    « Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse