Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

How many Records Will Get Selected Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 6:16 PM
Carlo Romagnano (6/11/2010)
There is nothing new learn from this question.

The lesson is:
"GO" may be dangerous if no error checking is done!

This type Go questions and answers and disscussions are there.
Please check previous questions long back you know this type questions as much as there.

Malleswarareddy
I.T.Analyst
MCITP(70-451)
Post #935904
Posted Friday, June 11, 2010 5:17 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 7:01 AM
Quite a waste of time trying to answer this question.
Lesson learned here should be: How NOT to write a QotD!
Post #935925
Posted Friday, June 11, 2010 5:24 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Friday, November 21, 2014 9:48 AM
Well I learned two things. One, be careful with those GO statements, they can bite you in the butt. Two, write a QotD that trips up a bunch of people and they'll come crawling out of the woodwork to cry about what a bad question it is.

-----
a haiku...

NULL is not zero
NULL is not an empty string
NULL is the unknown
Post #935927
Posted Friday, June 11, 2010 5:48 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 4:04 AM
i don't copy and paste before answering the qotd. because if i answer it right, i wouldn't join the debate. only twice or so did I ever join a debate when i got it right. so then, i could stand upon my meager pile of points and crow to the high heavens that i earned them the hard way: "real men drink from bottle"

ok, i climb down from the soap crate.

there's a certain canadian company which sells puzzles. i once ordered from them and the puzzles came through to the island where i am. i am deciding on their sale of one of the metal ones. it is level 9, very difficult. they also have hanayama puzzles with varying levels. imagine puzzles, having different levelling.

Post #935941
Posted Friday, June 11, 2010 6:11 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Thursday, November 20, 2014 8:50 PM
Just my 0.02$, I don't care about the points but I fail to see the learning opportunity (for me) here. Like hugo said, you'll get an error as soon as you test the script. So it comes back to assuming the intent of the question, coin flip at best.
Post #935949
Posted Friday, June 11, 2010 6:21 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:22 PM
Malleswarareddy - No offense intended, but maybe you could try a translator, your English is not understandable. //translate.google.com/?hl=en#hi|en|

Post #935952
Posted Friday, June 11, 2010 6:39 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 7:07 AM
I'm not too sure this was really a bad question. We've seen questions receive a lot more positive feedback that were only worth 1 point. So if this was such a bad question why was it worth 3 points? Do you think certification tests have syntax errors in any of the questions?

Dave
Post #935957
Posted Friday, June 11, 2010 6:49 AM
SSCommitted

Last Login: Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:35 AM
Very poor question... when it is proper to try an trick someone to test their knowledge? If you are going to test, then make the correct answer part of the question.

Raymond Laubert
Exceptional DBA of 2009 Finalist
MCT, MCDBA, MCITP:SQL 2005 Admin,
MCSE, OCP:10g
Post #935966
Posted Friday, June 11, 2010 7:06 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 12:22 PM
So will future "questions of the day" just be proofreading? Find the misspelled word! I think of questions of the day as testing knowledge of concepts, not spellchecks. I know it can't be easy getting a decent question every day, but this seems like a stretch.

--------------------------------------
When you encounter a problem, if the solution isn't readily evident go back to the start and check your assumptions.
--------------------------------------
It’s unpleasantly like being drunk.
What’s so unpleasant about being drunk?
You ask a glass of water. -- Douglas Adams
Post #935980
Posted Friday, June 11, 2010 7:17 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, November 14, 2014 8:48 AM
No matter if it's a bad question or a trick question. The answer is one. The question was "How many records are returned from the last SELECT?". That answer is 1 not 3. No matter if you execute the steps as one batch or individually the select statement returns one row.
Post #935997
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse