Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««12345»»

Make a 100+ Server Inventory in 30 minutes Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:33 PM
Android (6/10/2010)
Nice process. Would you happen to know how to either automatically populate the batch file with a listing of server names instead of manually (we have close to 200 servers and the list changes frequently) or have the batch file written to draw from another file which contains the list of servers (txt, csv, etc. format)?

Thanks,
Android

Android,

For the first round, I do it with network scanner like 'IPScan' (which takes less than a minute to scan a class C subnet), it can retrieve the host name and export to a text file. Then I will put the host name into Excel to generate all the command lines, and finally put it into a batch file.
Post #935844
Posted Friday, June 11, 2010 12:15 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

@Ashish (6/10/2010)
There is no information of hard disk size in this command.

Is there any other o/s command which can give you the current hard disk sizes?

Ashish,

This tool do not get hard disk size.
You can do it by wmic command.

Please check the link:
http://www.robvanderwoude.com/files/diskspc_xp.txt
Post #935845
Posted Monday, June 14, 2010 4:03 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:17 AM

MAPS from Microsoft is the best way to record all such info in a database for you, plus a ncie report and excel spreadsheet.

In order to produce the inventory it scans the network and identifies SQL Server installs, versions, OS details, disk space etc etc.

Post #936691
Posted Monday, June 14, 2010 10:03 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, November 6, 2014 7:10 AM
There are database ways of getting most of the information you need. I'd rather stick to one tool if I can. If you're administering your servers from a central management SQL Server you should be able to make connections using linked servers. Once your linked servers are set up properly, querying data from your remotes machines is fairly easy. Your list of servers will be found in the sysservers view/table. Cursor through them and make use of the SERVERPROPERTY function, and the sys.dm_os_sys_info and sysconfigures views using dynamic sql . This will obtain most of the information you need. You can insert this into a table in a management database and SELECT as needed. The only real difficulty I had was retrieving some of this information for SQL Server 2000, but routinely populating a user table locally on these servers with xp_msver got me that information. I grant that using SYSTEMINFO is an easy way of getting the information into usable spreadsheet format, but I still think taking the time to create your queries is a more versatile option. Just having the linked servers allows you to pull so much other data too. I pull job info, login info, database property info, user info, etc.
Post #936977
Posted Monday, June 14, 2010 8:41 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 3:56 PM
Just to clarify, this doesn't seem to be in all versions of XP. If you're not on XP Professional (is anyone other than me stuck with XP Home?) try using msinfo32.exe instead. it has a /report option which will give you something similar.
Post #937221
Posted Tuesday, June 15, 2010 8:30 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, November 14, 2014 3:50 AM
Steve Jones - Editor (6/10/2010)
If you want to use Powershell here, I found a cool script from SQL Chicken: http://sqlchicken.com/2010/06/powershell-i-heart-you/

Woot! Thanks for the shout-out Steve! Big thanks to Stanley though, very cool base script/issue to work on and learn PowerShell with.

=============================================================
/* Backups are worthless, Restores are priceless */

Get your learn on at SQL University!
Follow me on Twitter | Connect on LinkedIn
My blog: http://sqlchicken.com
My book: Pro Server 2008 Policy-Based Management
Post #937558
Posted Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:57 AM
Grasshopper

stephen.burke (6/14/2010)

MAPS from Microsoft is the best way to record all such info in a database for you, plus a ncie report and excel spreadsheet.

In order to produce the inventory it scans the network and identifies SQL Server installs, versions, OS details, disk space etc etc.

Stephen,

I use MAPS too, MAPS is a great inventory tool too.
However, it does not take the pagefiles size and hotfix installed.
Post #938923
Posted Tuesday, June 22, 2010 7:39 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, December 8, 2010 7:26 AM
You could also use a free program like SpiceWorks which does this and a lot more...
Post #941040
Posted Tuesday, June 22, 2010 12:39 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, November 14, 2014 3:50 AM
olsosoft (6/22/2010)
You could also use a free program like SpiceWorks which does this and a lot more...

Riddler
If you kill'im, he won't learn nothin'!

=============================================================
/* Backups are worthless, Restores are priceless */

Get your learn on at SQL University!
Follow me on Twitter | Connect on LinkedIn
My blog: http://sqlchicken.com
My book: Pro Server 2008 Policy-Based Management
Post #941292
Posted Tuesday, June 22, 2010 4:03 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 5:34 PM
stephen.burke (6/14/2010)

Have you got a link for that?

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #941396
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««12345»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse