Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Make a 100+ Server Inventory in 30 minutes Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 9:33 PM
Thanks ryberg, I will try!
Post #935199
Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:33 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 3:19 AM
This would be handy for a DBA if all the servers are in the domain, but rather than make a batch file with a list of all your servers by hand, you could get the list of all your registered SQL servers very easily from SMO, and, whilst you're doing it, collect as much SQL Server information as you want about them to combine with the systeminfo info.

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Post #935201
Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:17 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Friday, June 6, 2014 7:58 AM
We are using Quest Spotlight and Confio Ignite for our most important servers, but the price of these products made me look for a free tool that could be used for our "not so important server".
I found SQLH2, which is written in C# (comes with complete source code) and is licensed under Microsoft Public License (Ms-PL).
I stripped out the logging parts that I did not want and modified/added some more logging to make it fit my needs.

Post #935211
Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:52 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Monday, June 9, 2014 1:38 AM
M A Srinivas (6/9/2010)
This is a good tool for systeminfo . Do you have a tool to capture sql server information like edition,service pack, cpu affinity mask, memory configured. Now these are caried out with scripts or system stored procedures

Thanks

Srinivas

Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit

The Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit makes it easy to assess your current IT infrastructure for a variety of technology migration projects. This Solution Accelerator provides a powerful inventory, assessment, and reporting tool to simplify the migration planning process

[url=http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=67240b76-3148-4e49-943d-4d9ea7f77730&displaylang=en#QuickInfoContainer][/url]
Post #935227
Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:34 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, May 7, 2013 2:23 AM
Hi,

We have just started using the sql discovery wizard from quest, it is not perfect but it gets most of the information we need such as patch levels and basic information from other dbs. You can also set up custom scripts that it can run to collect extra data. The product is still in beta but has become a massive time saver.

http://www.quest.com/discovery-wizard-for-sql-server/

Thanks,
Karl
Post #935242
Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:41 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, May 23, 2011 2:40 PM
Nice process. Would you happen to know how to either automatically populate the batch file with a listing of server names instead of manually (we have close to 200 servers and the list changes frequently) or have the batch file written to draw from another file which contains the list of servers (txt, csv, etc. format)?

Thanks,
Android
Post #935307
Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:39 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 3:11 PM
There is no information of hard disk size in this command.

Is there any other o/s command which can give you the current hard disk sizes?

_________

Regards,
Ashish
Post #935345
Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:43 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, October 4, 2010 9:44 AM
I like the concept, I played with it and had good results in general. One thing to be aware of, is that this approach does not work in all environments. RPC has to be available for this to function.

So, if you are in a "hardened" environment for security where the port are not available, the service is shut off, or any number of things like that, the script will fail generating a simple error message.

So, while this is a great and simple solution, it has it limitations-only worked on a subset of the servers I deal with.
Post #935350
Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:47 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Wednesday, July 2, 2014 3:48 AM
@andriod,

Try "sqlcmd -L" on the command prompt and check whether it helps you.

Regards,
Raj

Strictlysql.blogspot.com
Post #935354
Posted Thursday, June 10, 2010 7:53 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 7:24 AM
Great tip to get a quick inventory!

I wrote a similar blog post about using a free tool called SYDI that uses WMI to gather system information and query\persist it in SQL 2005: http://kendalvandyke.blogspot.com/2008/06/network-documentation-with-sql-2005-and.html. It gathers more information than systeminfo does but it's also slightly more complecated to implement.

Kendal Van Dyke
http://kendalvandyke.blogspot.com/
Post #935357
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse