Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Is the MVP Worth It? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:11 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Is the MVP Worth It?

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #934413
Posted Wednesday, June 9, 2010 12:25 AM

SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, August 28, 2014 2:39 AM
Like you said, you need to do the work with or without the award.

Gail made a very strong statement, which I agree with, that it's not something to work for, but rather recognition awarded to you.

I also think that you are either the type to deliver the kind of work and contributions, or not (it might even be seen as a personality trait ??).

The title would obviously be a massive award, to me, to anyone, but it should not be your goal.
This would a result of setting your goals towards community work (SQL Related )

----------------------------------------------
Msg 8134, Level 16, State 1, Line 1
Divide by zero error encountered.
Post #934417
Posted Wednesday, June 9, 2010 4:44 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Sunday, September 8, 2013 5:39 PM
If I were to choose between putting in the hard yards for a MVP vs. MBA, I would absolutely go for the MBA. I also dare say there is more in it for Microsoft than for the individual. As an MVP, you are evangalizing their products to the world and - as Steve said - are paid little to nothing extra to do it. Not to mention the extremely valuable product and community feedback MS is spoon-fed through the MVP channel. It certainly would be interesting to know what value Microsoft places on their MVP's. Surely somewhere within the bowels of the MVP program, someone has worked out the tangible and/or intangible value of your typical MVP.

For me, there are countless better ways to "give back" than to support the product development & marketing efforts of a very profitable $60billion global company. Of course, I'm cynical about these things and as George Carlin once said: "Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist."

Looking forward to other opinions.

James Stover, McDBA
Post #934517
Posted Wednesday, June 9, 2010 6:04 AM

Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Monday, May 7, 2012 9:23 AM
In over 30 years in this business, I have rarely seen anyone with an MVP award who actually measures up to being an "MVP" - and worse, in some cases, those with this award have very narrow knowledge - in that, yes they are experts, but often they cannot step outside that narrow alley of what they know.

Worse, since the MVP award is really a Microsoft "animal" - how can that represent an impartial view, let alone definition of what an MVP is. Maybe you're a SQL Server MVP - but you don't know squat about say, C#... Is THAT really an "MVP"??? I will take an experienced 'MacGyver' type with wide knowledge, over any MVP with narrow knowledge any day.

The entire concept is a sales gimic and therein, the entire concept is ridiculous and always has been.

There's no such thing as dumb questions, only poorly thought-out answers...
Post #934546
Posted Wednesday, June 9, 2010 6:18 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:22 AM
An excellent question, and comparing it to writing a book is pretty apt. I suspect, more than anything, it's a personality trait that drives a person to do that kind of labor outside of normal working hours. Is it worth it? It's honestly hard to say. I guess you have to ask if you believe in the concept of a "community" of SQL Server users. If you do think that there is such a critter, and you're one of the people that has helped build/maintain/grow that community, then a bit of recognition for the work is nice. The glass brick looks good on your desk.

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of:
SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #934552
Posted Wednesday, June 9, 2010 8:40 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:20 PM
To answer the question, I will ask another question. With or without the award/reward, is it worth it? Is it worthwhile to give of yourself to others? Is it worthwhile to help another person? Is it worthwhile to increase your personal knowledge (a common side effect of helping others) or skills or character? Is it worthwhile to feel good about having done something good? Does it make you feel good to give an act of service?

It doesn't matter to me that I am not an MVP or that I have not written a book. I try to help and it feels worthwhile to me.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #934644
Posted Wednesday, June 9, 2010 10:12 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 9:53 AM
CirquedeSQLeil (6/9/2010)
To answer the question, I will ask another question. With or without the award/reward, is it worth it? Is it worthwhile to give of yourself to others? Is it worthwhile to help another person? Is it worthwhile to increase your personal knowledge (a common side effect of helping others) or skills or character? Is it worthwhile to feel good about having done something good? Does it make you feel good to give an act of service?

It doesn't matter to me that I am not an MVP or that I have not written a book. I try to help and it feels worthwhile to me.

Yes. It does feel good to give service. I tend to do that outside of my career, though. I don't do it for recognition but I see the need and feel useful filling it. I can't comment on whether a M.S. MVP is worthwhile to have. Only those with the designation can answer that.
Post #934739
Posted Wednesday, June 9, 2010 10:34 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Wednesday, November 12, 2014 8:36 AM
CirquedeSQLeil
Here! Here! I could not agree more with what you said. I am still new but I answer questions I feel I can and I get more out of doing that then I give. Often I may have to do some level of research to answer the question and I learn something I did not know before. I meet people I did not know before and make connections I did not have before. To say that I am not already rewarded would be simply wrong.

Dan

If only I could snap my figures and have all the correct indexes apear and the buffer clean and.... Start day dream here.
Post #934761
Posted Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:01 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:58 AM
CirquedeSQLeil (6/9/2010)
Is it worthwhile to increase your personal knowledge (a common side effect of helping others)

This is the reason I do it... not only do I learn (from researching the answer), but it reinforces what I've learned. And you get to learn from other posters when they present something different.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #934783
Posted Wednesday, June 9, 2010 11:03 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:11 PM
So Blandry, I'm confused, you're not an MVP because you don't know everything about a product? Or everything in some area? Or all technologies?

The award is a community award. It's not a technical one, though they (supposedly) do want people to contribute in a technical way.

It's what you make of it, and what you take from it, like many things. I like the program as there are many people passionate about MS products. We enjoy working with them, and we enjoy helping people. MS gives a few small rewards, and some inside information, and a few parties.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #934788
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse