Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Speeding Up Incremental ETL Proceses in SSIS by Using MD5 Hashes Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 10, 2013 4:31 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Speeding Up Incremental ETL Proceses in SSIS by Using MD5 Hashes
Post #933776
Posted Monday, June 7, 2010 11:05 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Sunday, August 21, 2011 7:43 PM
i like the hash approach - to save time you could just use the konesans checksum algorithm add in to calculate the crc value. Combined with the conditional split it works a treat.
Post #933792
Posted Tuesday, June 8, 2010 12:00 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:25 AM
I implement something like this and it increased dramatically the SSIS performance. Fortunately i have in the input a hash column already computed, from sources
Post #933803
Posted Tuesday, June 8, 2010 2:37 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 1:17 AM
Great! I haven't read this but it looks great. Will read this and place some comments (when i have them).
Post #933848
Posted Tuesday, June 8, 2010 3:09 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 7:40 AM
Nice article. Although I would have used a temp/staging table to store my updates, instead of using the OLE DB Command. That way you can use a set based update instead of an update per row.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at LessThanDot.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
Post #933856
Posted Tuesday, June 8, 2010 3:12 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Friday, October 10, 2014 12:58 AM
Really interesting and well-written article, thank you.
As a matter of interest, is it any faster (or in any other way better or worse) to create the hash value as part of the T-SQL Select statement, using code based on something like this:

SELECT HashBytes('MD5', FirstName + LastName) FROM [AdventureWorks].[Person].[Contact]

Of course you will have to use all the fields that you will be hashing on, and cast all values to (n)varchar, but I wondered if you had tried this, and if so, which appraoch gave better performance?
Post #933857
Posted Tuesday, June 8, 2010 4:23 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 5:54 AM
First class article, do you have any benchmarks about how it improved performance?

Sql Server Blog
Sql Server Consultancy
Post #933880
Posted Tuesday, June 8, 2010 6:05 AM
SSC Rookie

rcooke (6/7/2010)
i like the hash approach - to save time you could just use the konesans checksum algorithm add in to calculate the crc value. Combined with the conditional split it works a treat.

Konesans Checksum is very prone to collisions, so it can introduce errors into your ETL process. Using MD5 hashes the chance for hash collisions is much much lower.
Post #933928
Posted Tuesday, June 8, 2010 6:07 AM
SSC Rookie

da-zero (6/8/2010)
Nice article. Although I would have used a temp/staging table to store my updates, instead of using the OLE DB Command. That way you can use a set based update instead of an update per row.

This is the way I normally do it as well. I wanted my example to focus more on the hashing this time around.

I heartily endorse doing anything you can do avoid using the OLEDB Command or SCD Task for updates.
Post #933932
Posted Tuesday, June 8, 2010 6:09 AM
SSC Rookie

Adam Aspin (6/8/2010)
Really interesting and well-written article, thank you.
As a matter of interest, is it any faster (or in any other way better or worse) to create the hash value as part of the T-SQL Select statement, using code based on something like this:

SELECT HashBytes('MD5', FirstName + LastName) FROM [AdventureWorks].[Person].[Contact]

Of course you will have to use all the fields that you will be hashing on, and cast all values to (n)varchar, but I wondered if you had tried this, and if so, which appraoch gave better performance?

There shouldn't be much difference in doing it this way, however I try to avoid doing string manipulation in SQL whenever possible as that can be a major drag on performance. That was the chief reason in deciding to do it in .Net.
Post #933934
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse