Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

What Will We Take For Granted Tomorrow? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Sunday, September 8, 2013 5:39 PM
Scott-144766 (6/7/2010)
Sadly, tuberculosis isn't a thing of the past like smallpox. It infects a third of the world's population and kills over a million people a year.

Well said.

James Stover, McDBA
Post #933727
Posted Monday, June 7, 2010 7:36 PM

Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:35 PM
read a joke once that said that computer professionals were the only ones that got excited when things actually worked

that wasn't a joke, we were being serious, but as usual...

and as far as the evil of tv and games go, I'm not sure that research is keeping up with led displays and high refresh rates, nor even with 1080p and the peculiar jitter from various pulldown patterns, and even the audio pitch shift associated with some of these arcane remapping techniques.

I'm inclined to believe that some of the learning issues associated with delta rhythym push from conventional CRT TV's may become less of an issue as a change in epilepsy related problems, particularly the 3SD of status epilepticus without long term damage diagnoses become more common.

Did think, on first blush, that this topic could become positively litigous, but it's looking interesting instead, and maybe Steve Earle doesn't really mind his bluegrass take on the world being rendered a little more mainstream country by Brad Paisley

...and of course

ppl [sic] using technology will never understand how or why it works

isn't this the way it always has been, since witches used willow to cure headaches or blue cohosh to to cure pregnancy?

Peter Edmunds ex-Geek
Post #933761
Posted Tuesday, June 8, 2010 6:49 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 2:03 PM
Dan.Humphries (6/7/2010)
The problem is simple! Society as it stands today no longer understands or appreaciates the effort that goes into technology. Most ppl using technology will never understand how or why it works. They understand one and only one thing and that is the convience it brings to their life.

Yes, but this is not new, by any means. Do you think most women, for example, care about the technology that was put into their automobile? or how it works? Most of them I know just care whether it gets them from Point A to Point B. They could care less about the technology behind it. Technology is a fact of life nowadays, and people will always take advantage of the convenience of what it offers, but I doubt seriously whether most people today really care or spend a lot of time wondering how/why it works. It just does, and that's all that really matters to most people.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #933958
Posted Tuesday, June 8, 2010 7:01 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 8:34 AM
Said of the fact that the Incas progressed to become an advanced civilisation without inventing (or discovering) the wheel and wondering how many apparently obvious innovations are still waiting for us...

"What wings do we have with which we have yet to fly"
Matthew Parris, from his book "Inca Kola"
Post #933966
Posted Tuesday, June 8, 2010 7:30 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 6:05 AM
Scott-144766 (6/7/2010)
Sadly, tuberculosis isn't a thing of the past like smallpox. It infects a third of the world's population and kills over a million people a year.

In some parts of the world it's even becoming a greater problem than historically, because of strains of drug-resistant forms that are starting to appear.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #933990
Posted Tuesday, June 8, 2010 7:51 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Thursday, October 9, 2014 9:03 AM

In some parts of the world it's even becoming a greater problem than historically, because of strains of drug-resistant forms that are starting to appear.

And when you combine TB with HIV you get a very unpleasant situation. Just goes to show we shouldn't confuse "It's a thing of the past" with "It's a thing of the past round here".

--
Scott Doughty
Post #934008
Posted Tuesday, June 8, 2010 8:04 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 6:05 AM
Scott-144766 (6/8/2010)

And when you combine TB with HIV you get a very unpleasant situation. Just goes to show we shouldn't confuse "It's a thing of the past" with "It's a thing of the past round here".

Indeed. Toss poverty and government corruption into the mixture and it becomes one hell of a mess. Locally, if statistics are to be believed (and around here these kind of stats are well below reality), there's over half a million people living with active TB.

How many of these are considered (in the first world countries) to be things of the past?
Malaria
Cholera
Polio

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #934018
Posted Tuesday, June 8, 2010 8:27 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 6:02 AM
GilaMonster (6/8/2010)
Scott-144766 (6/7/2010)

The East End of London, UK sports one such population.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
Exploring Recursive CTEs by Example Dwain Camps
Post #934035
Posted Tuesday, June 8, 2010 3:13 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:47 PM
WayneS (6/7/2010)
Thought-provoking. Very nice... as are the replies.

Same sentiment.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #934272
Posted Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:44 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:27 PM
Very interesting editorial and comments!

This actually plays right into something I'm doing now. In addition to my full-time IT job, I also teach part-time at a small business school. This module (my school's equivalent of a semester), I'm teaching a class called "Office Information and Management Systems." One of the big topics of discussion is how technology has changed the workplace. I've discussed with my class how the office has changed, and how technology has affected that change -- going from typewriters, file cabinets, and switchboard operators to email, databases, and automated phone systems. Talk about a paradigm shift.
Post #934969
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse