Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Sending HTML Newsletters in a Batch Using SQL Server Expand / Collapse
Author
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, May 31, 2013 4:37 PM
Thank you!

I have to spend more time studying the capability to send emails via SQL. I have not had time.

However, the typology of the Notes is: server and client. The Notes Server is equivalent to MS Exchange and Notes Client is equivalent to Outlook.

Regards,
JG
Post #928903
Posted Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:33 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, November 15, 2013 3:14 AM
I remember when I was doing something along the same sort of lines before but McAfee Anti-Virus always flagged some emails as a virus

Does your method get round this somehow?

Post #928932
Posted Thursday, May 27, 2010 6:46 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, May 22, 2014 8:32 AM
One simple way is not to use Mcaffee. Sorry but that's just it.

Besides if it is flagging a plain html email with no attachment as a virus then there is somethign severely wrong with the checker settings.

It may flag it as spam but anyone subscribed to any news letter should also be prepared to add the sender to the white-list.

Other than that, Using sensible, well formed, non derivative language in the subject and body is still one of the best ways to avoid getting flagged as a false positive by spam checkers though if you are mass mailing that will always increase your chances.

Post #928938
Posted Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:06 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, November 15, 2013 3:14 AM
The reason it flagged the generation of the email as a virus was due to McAfee thinking that some unreputable program had been creating HTML emails

But i do agree I don't really like using McAfee there are better ones out there.

It wasn't the fact that the reciever's email was flagged , but when the email was generated internally before it was sent

Post #928953
Posted Thursday, May 27, 2010 7:20 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Ahh, I see where you are going there. If Mcafee was monitoring an email client and an external program tried to connect via the back end of the client then there may have been issues.

Since this connects directly to the mail server, basically acting as a mail client in its own right then there should not be a problem there.

The one issue I had when first sending email outside the company using database mail was that the profile was not using authentication and so Exchange would not allow relaying.

Either your profile needs to connect using authentication or you need to add the SQL Server to the list of IP addresses allowed to relay within your mail server. If the mail server is external then you will almost certainly need to use authentication to be able to send at all.

Post #928963
Posted Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:19 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 8:13 AM
Hey All,
I've been using the db_mail functionality for a while now and would just add in a couple of caveats:
1) You should add in some mechanism to track emails sent (sent to, datetime stamp, etc...). SQL server does track this but I like to have a non-system method to confirm and report against when and email was generated/sent, at least from the SQL perspective. This would allow you to recover/resend without duplicating any already sent items incase there was some issue that stopped the send.
2) You have to keep an eye on the sysmail_mailitems and other sysmail tables in the msdb. The system records all emails sent and this table can grow quite quickly as time passes. You will have to devise a method for periodic backup/cleanup if your sending mass amounts of emails.
just a couple of cents...
Dave
Post #929012
Posted Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:23 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:39 AM
I think this is an expensive use of RDBMS because there is no DB Mail in Express which is a wrapper on SMTP, you can send the same mail free in Asp.net.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
Post #929017
Posted Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:45 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

Aye. There are better things to do with a DB system than use it as a mass mailer and better systems for doing so but sometimes, if you have a job running already generating the info sometimes it's easy to just do it from there.

Also the post is not really about whether you should but rather, if you do, how to batch it up.

Post #929035
Posted Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:46 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, August 21, 2014 8:13 AM
@Gift Peddie
I would tend to agree but would not suggest an asp.net app. .Net window application/console/service would probably be more intune with what your suggesting. asp.net apps. would not be able to hold a session long enough to do any real mass mailing...
MS did add this feature in so it does do the job and usually, production DB's do have the horsepower to pull it off with minimal drag on a given server BUT I tend to do mailings in off peak times to ensure clients are not inconvienced with any possible processing time...
Good point though...
Dave
Post #929038
Posted Thursday, May 27, 2010 9:01 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:39 AM
I would tend to agree but would not suggest an asp.net app. .Net window application/console/service would probably be more intune with what your suggesting. asp.net apps. would not be able to hold a session long enough to do any real mass mailing...

The implementation of System.NET mail in Winform, Console and Asp.net uses different Config files required in app.config for Winform, Console and Web.Config in Asp.net. So what you can do with Asp.net depends on skill and the person without skills could buy existing component for a few dollars. In .NET 4.0 SSL can also be defined in the config file and not code and all of the above require .NET 2.0 and up.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
Post #929053
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse