Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Daily Backup Job Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, May 20, 2010 11:27 PM
Hi Friends,

I need to set up a job to create backup everyday. I also need to overwrite an existing backup. Can somebody please help me with it.

Thank you
Post #922545
Posted Sunday, May 16, 2010 4:45 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Tuesday, January 28, 2014 8:15 AM
This is really basic stuff. Do you have any exposure to maintenance plans?

I do prefer to run my backups using custom scripts but certainly a maintenance plan would be the easiest/fastest way to get it done.

First thing first... what would be your backup/recovery strategy? would it be point-in-time or would it be last-known-whole-backup?

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
Post #922671
Posted Sunday, May 16, 2010 10:17 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Thursday, May 20, 2010 11:27 PM
Hi Paul,

Actually I am looking for a script with which I could create a job to do a daily backup and overwrite previous day backup in the same job.

Thanks for your help in advance!!
Post #922701
Posted Sunday, May 16, 2010 11:56 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 9:05 PM
Use INIT option in the WITH clause of backup statement, it will overwrite the existing backup file. for more info try this link

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186865.aspx

Nag.

Nag
------------------------------------------------
How to get the best help on a forum

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537
Post #922711
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse