Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

excel is not importing into an application Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 8:39 AM
when i load an excel sheet into the application. it is not getting uploaded .it tells to me that it is an invalid spreadsheet. i had created a table in EXCEL and i had loaded the data into the excel using ssis.

is there any way the user can import the data from excel to the appplication with out opening and saving the excel sheet. if the excel is opened and saved then the excel gets loaded into the application. but i dont want that.
Post #920829
Posted Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:03 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 10:56 AM
How do you envisage a user initiating this job? Is it their own spreadsheet or one held centrally?

I'm assuming that your question is not just: "Can SSIS import data from Excel spreadsheets?" (to which the answer is 'yes', of course)

... and please clarify what you mean by "application."

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #920841
Posted Wednesday, May 12, 2010 2:49 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 11:12 AM
Assuming the "application" is NOT Excel have the user attempt to open the sheet using Excel .... he mostly likely will receive an error message saying the the sheet is locked for edit by..... In which case it can only be opened in "Read only mode" ... In whcih case the opening by the application will have to be modified

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Post #920869
Posted Thursday, May 13, 2010 2:26 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 8:39 AM
this is how it is supposed to work

when the data gets loaded . the excel will be kept in a file share. then the users will upload the excel to share point.

right now i am loading the data to an excel and i am sending the excel to a user to check the excel if it is getting uploaded. he tells to me that if he opens the excel and saves it it gets uploaded .

if he tries to directly import the excel to the application.he gets an error that it is an invalid spreadsheet.

i want my excel to get directly loaded into the application with out saving it again at the user end.

Please help me.
Post #921626
Posted Friday, May 14, 2010 12:37 AM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Today @ 10:56 AM
sql2k8 (5/13/2010)
this is how it is supposed to work

when the data gets loaded . the excel will be kept in a file share. then the users will upload the excel to share point.

right now i am loading the data to an excel and i am sending the excel to a user to check the excel if it is getting uploaded. he tells to me that if he opens the excel and saves it it gets uploaded .

if he tries to directly import the excel to the application.he gets an error that it is an invalid spreadsheet.

i want my excel to get directly loaded into the application with out saving it again at the user end.

Please help me.

How does SSIS fit into this equation?

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

When you ask a question (and please do ask a question: "My T-SQL does not work" just doesn't cut it), please provide enough information for us to understand its context.
Post #921782
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse