Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Modeling relational databases Expand / Collapse
Author
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, July 11, 2014 8:22 AM
Hi,

At the company we are being Audited by some entity...
This entity is asking for the ERD Model of each database.

When we develop the databases we do it directly in relational form, not first in ERD model and only then pass it to relational.

What are you guys doing?

Do you use ERD model first?

Is it wrong no to have a ERD model of each database?

We just have the SQL Server Diagram of each DB.

Can you please help?

What are you using to model and to present your relational database models to clients?
Post #919270
Posted Monday, May 10, 2010 3:55 PM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:48 PM
When I started here the first thing I did was model the DB, as one did not exist. Fortunately we have Visio 2007, and I was able to reverse engineer the DB. That atleast got the tables and views for me. And it made our auditors happy when they came thru.

ERWin is probably the class of the field, but it can be expensive.

Regarding development process, it's a coin flip. A small shop can get away with creating the objects as you go. but once more than 3 people have to develop in the DB, a model is worth its weight in gold. Easy reference when writing queries because your relationships are visible. And when new objects are created it allows the entire team to know what to expect. My preference? Model 1st.

Just my .02 worth.

Greg Roberts
Post #919346
Posted Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:50 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 5:31 AM
Database models are useful even if you work in a small shop. And not only for auditing purposes
Post #919547
Posted Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:52 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Do you guys use Erwin to model? or other tool? or make every think in paper (work, etc..) and pas it to visio?

My question is, do you have help from a modeling tool like Erwin? or do you make by your own?
Post #919549
Posted Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:38 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 5:31 AM
MS Visio
Post #919569
Posted Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:00 AM
Right there with Babe

does Erwin help people that have some difficulties in modeling? Does it point you in the right way when you do mistakes?
Post #919574
Posted Tuesday, May 11, 2010 5:01 AM
Right there with Babe

you say that you model and then pass it to visio.

Do you make the ERD model?
Post #919575
Posted Tuesday, May 11, 2010 9:05 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 12:48 PM
I reverse engineered the database using Visio's built in tools. Then as changes are developed they are first added to the model.

Greg Roberts
Post #919766
Posted Thursday, June 30, 2011 3:57 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, January 21, 2013 1:51 PM
The auditing entity is asking for an ERD, or Entity Relationship Diagram. In database modeling terms, an ERD represents a Conceptual Model (this is the highest level in a three-level 'schema architecture', followed by a Logical Model and lastly by a Physical Model). Sql Server and other RDBMS's have a "Relationship" feature which can reverse engineer the database into its Physical database model, but this can usually suffice as both the Logical Model and the conceptual ERD. At the Concept Model level, "Entities" represent the database tables and "Attributes" represent columns in a Logical Model. ERDs allow naming the tables and columns with friendly names (e.g., "Last Name" instead of "LName", "Customer" instead of "tblCUST", etc.). The best database modeling tool, in my professional opinion, is Embarcadero's ER/Studio. Better (and less expensive) than ER/Win.

You should probably send the auditors your Sql Server Relationship Diagram: that should suffice.
Post #1134312
Posted Friday, July 1, 2011 12:37 PM

SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: Friday, July 25, 2014 3:19 AM
I think ERStudio from Embarcadero is WAY better for SQL Server modelling. Much better pricing too.

But for what this OP needs, I would just slap something together for the auditors using Visio if you have it or even the modelling tool from within SSMS. No need to pay money for nebulous external requirements.

I DO think it is valuable to have a good ERD and good ERD tool, however!!

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
Post #1135301
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse