Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Who will the Exceptional DBA in 2010? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:49 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Who will the Exceptional DBA in 2010?

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #918528
Posted Monday, May 10, 2010 1:11 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:11 PM
Are you recommending that one nominates one's self?

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #919265
Posted Monday, May 10, 2010 1:13 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Aboslutely. If you think you qualify, nominate yourself.

Post #919266
Posted Monday, May 10, 2010 1:22 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:33 PM
Personally, I think it means more if someone else makes the nomination. It is sort of like nominating yourself for MVP, self-serving. I set a pretty high bar for myself, and I wouldn't nominate myself for either. It doesn't matter if I consider myself an Exeptional DBA, but it does matter if my employer and/or my peers consider me to be an Exceptional DBA.

Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Post #919269
Posted Monday, May 10, 2010 1:26 PM

SSC-Dedicated

I understand that, but so many people outside the DBA world might not know about this, or you're in a boat like I was. I was the only DBA. no one would be able to judge.

Feel free to enter if you are proud of what you do

Post #919274
Posted Monday, May 10, 2010 1:30 PM

SSC-Insane

Steve Jones - Editor (5/10/2010)
I understand that, but so many people outside the DBA world might not know about this, or you're in a boat like I was. I was the only DBA. no one would be able to judge.

Feel free to enter if you are proud of what you do

I would feel so much better about it if somebody else made the nomination. However, I do see that very same issue where I am now. So few people know about this award and many of us do work as the only DBA in the shop.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
Post #919277
Posted Monday, May 10, 2010 2:40 PM

SSC-Insane

Just can't do it. It's just too self-serving in my opinion to nominate myself. I'll admit, no one here at work knows about the Exceptional DBA competition, and I am one of three in our DBA group (I'm the lead with a Junior DBA and Database Programmer in my group).

It would be very humbling to just be nominated yet alone to win, but even I don't measure up to my own standards, as I set a very high bar for myself. There is so much to do and never enough time to do it all with the other duties and requests that keep coming my way.

Lynn Pettis

For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables

Post #919318
Posted Monday, May 10, 2010 2:53 PM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, March 06, 2014 1:05 PM
Lynn Pettis (5/10/2010)
Just can't do it. It's just too self-serving in my opinion to nominate myself. I'll admit, no one here at work knows about the Exceptional DBA competition, and I am one of three in our DBA group (I'm the lead with a Junior DBA and Database Programmer in my group).

It would be very humbling to just be nominated yet alone to win, but even I don't measure up to my own standards, as I set a very high bar for myself. There is so much to do and never enough time to do it all with the other duties and requests that keep coming my way.

I agree, I too think it is a little self-serving to nominate yourself, but as stated before know one really knows about this outside of us DBA's, so I realistically don't see this going very far.

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ..."
Post #919325
Posted Monday, May 10, 2010 3:31 PM

SSC-Insane

I actually think it comes down to marketing. Perhaps, as DBA's, we need to start talking about the Exceptional DBA of the Year award to everyone and anyone that is willing to listen. But also, perhaps Redgate, as a sponsor, should publisize the competition in some of the more popular IT publications, both print and electronic, so that others outside of our small sphere of influence become aware of the award.

Also, by becoming active in the SQL Server community; participating in forums like SSC; writing articles for SSC or SSWUG, or SQL Server Standard, or SQL Server magazine, or any other technical magazines; becoming involved in the users groups (if possible, timing of meetings can cause issues; yes, Colorado Sprins SQL Server Users Group, I'm talking about you and Wednesday meetings), can make us more visible to our peers and what we are doing and capable of achieving. Who else is going to listen to the problems we have encountered and how we solved them, or what accomplishments we may have achieved at work? My wife? Heck, I start talking about work and her eyes glaze over and she simply nods in agreement.

Lynn Pettis

Post #919341
Posted Monday, May 10, 2010 4:07 PM

SSC-Insane

Lynn Pettis (5/10/2010)
I actually think it comes down to marketing. Perhaps, as DBA's, we need to start talking about the Exceptional DBA of the Year award to everyone and anyone that is willing to listen. But also, perhaps Redgate, as a sponsor, should publisize the competition in some of the more popular IT publications, both print and electronic, so that others outside of our small sphere of influence become aware of the award.

Also, by becoming active in the SQL Server community; participating in forums like SSC; writing articles for SSC or SSWUG, or SQL Server Standard, or SQL Server magazine, or any other technical magazines; becoming involved in the users groups (if possible, timing of meetings can cause issues; yes, Colorado Sprins SQL Server Users Group, I'm talking about you and Wednesday meetings), can make us more visible to our peers and what we are doing and capable of achieving. Who else is going to listen to the problems we have encountered and how we solved them, or what accomplishments we may have achieved at work? My wife? Heck, I start talking about work and her eyes glaze over and she simply nods in agreement.

I will make sure to mention it in our UG. I think that is how it is going to have to start.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
Post #919349
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse