Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Import Excel binary files into SQL Db using SSIS Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 7:34 AM
[b]There is no MS office installed on prod Server. Can I still use the script task? Can you please suggest me a reference for the script task to open excel file and save it in different format.

Microsoft discourages the use of MS Excel automation on a server and does not support it. I think if you Google "Excel Converter" you will find several utilities that can be used to convert the Excel file into another format. You could either call this utility as a step in your SQL Agent job, or use the Execute Process task to fire it.

Post #1457912
Posted Thursday, May 30, 2013 12:12 AM

SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Monday, June 24, 2013 4:31 PM
In order to do a script task, you'll definitely need Excel installed (since it has to open an Excel session in the background) so, that's not a viable option for you. I agree with Ed, that doing this isn't exactly recommended. I would definitely look into some conversion tools, as Ed suggest. With an Execute Process task you can call on any utility that uses command line arguments.

Post #1458047
Posted Monday, June 03, 2013 9:10 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:48 AM
Thanks alot Ed and Dirt! I appreciate your nod.
Post #1459346
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse