Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Concrete Code Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:02 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Concrete Code

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #910797
Posted Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:17 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 1:58 AM
Absolutely. Flexibility comes at a price though, but in my view it's well worth it in the long term.
Post #910906
Posted Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:23 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Yesterday @ 5:22 AM
So often, when I have written code with a view to being able to handle possible future expansions or changes in requirements, the life I have saved has been my own.

I am fortunate in two ways though:
1. I have a boss who says "Get X done by time T" and leaves me to it
2. There is actually enough time to do X by time T with a bit of slack which I can use to make things happen better than they did last time around.

When you build a house, and someone comes along and demands an extra room, it is *so* nice not to have to rebuild the house first!

Mark Dalley
Post #910940
Posted Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:34 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Today @ 1:58 AM
Exactly. Have to draw the line somewhere tho - you could build the house with extra strong foundations just in case you need to put an extra storey on top. Spose it depends how likely that is.
Post #910943
Posted Tuesday, April 27, 2010 5:11 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, September 2, 2011 3:22 AM
I would term the approach adopting a pragmatic approach rather than a "purist" approach.
Post #910961
Posted Tuesday, April 27, 2010 5:41 AM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Wednesday, August 6, 2014 8:29 AM
I can't resist pointing out that you make concrete stronger by adding --- REBAR!

Regards, Mike
Post #910988
Posted Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:45 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 6:15 AM
I've never had Red Cross training, but I like to think that I've learned how to apply CPR -- configurability, predictability, resiliancy -- to software systems. Still it's surprisingly hard to teach people that with software, the time to do CPR is before your code has a heart attack.
Post #911046
Posted Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:47 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:02 PM
I tried to work in rebar somehow, Mike, but couldn't. That helps with sheer forces, but not with expansions.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #911050
Posted Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:57 AM

SSChasing Mays

SSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing MaysSSChasing Mays

Last Login: Wednesday, August 6, 2014 8:29 AM
Still, rebar in concrete won't crumble, unlike its T-SQL counterpart.

Regards, Mike
Post #911060
Posted Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:26 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Friday, July 30, 2010 11:27 AM
On the other hand...
One of the rules of extreme programming was "do the simplest thing that could possibly work."
There is some danger in adding code complexity to anticipate future conditions that may never arise. Like the man said: "it all depends"!
Post #911092
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse