Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Optimising Server-Side Paging - Part I Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:31 AM
Great article, Paul. I look forward to Part II.

If you are not already covering it in a future article, I am curious if you have any advice on the best way (as in best performance) to incorporate the total record count for calculating total pages in this method, especially when custom filtering is involved.

Of course, if you are already planning to cover this topic, I am happy to patiently wait until then.

Thanks!

Post #910325
Posted Monday, April 26, 2010 7:35 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Today @ 1:36 AM
nabidavid (4/26/2010)
If you are not already covering it in a future article, I am curious if you have any advice on the best way (as in best performance) to incorporate the total record count for calculating total pages in this method, especially when custom filtering is involved.

I do cover various methods for obtaining the total record count in part II, and part III is concerned with custom filtering and ordering. Of course it is never possible to cover every possible need - but I hope you will find it useful.

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #910371
Posted Monday, April 26, 2010 7:37 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

peter-757102 (4/26/2010)
I scanned the article quicly and it is well presented.

Thanks very much.

But I do have to dive into this particular one as I feel something odd is happening. The optimized statement is still just one statement and the steps in the with clause are no more then inline views. I am interested in why this construct manages to forces a way better execution plan.

You are right to suspect that there is rather more to it than that
I hope you find time for a proper read of it very soon. Please also take a look at the attached scripts if you can.

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #910374
Posted Monday, April 26, 2010 7:40 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Today @ 11:55 AM
Good article. One thing I noticed is that you're using a contiguous identity for your tests, but relying on ROW_NUMBER() for the paging.

I'm assuming that ROW_NUMBER() is used because you're planning for missing identity values due to deleted rows? Given that, I'd like to see the tests run with some random rows deleted, to better reflect a real-world scenario.
Post #910379
Posted Monday, April 26, 2010 7:58 AM

SSChampion

sknox (4/26/2010)
Good article. One thing I noticed is that you're using a contiguous identity for your tests, but relying on ROW_NUMBER() for the paging. I'm assuming that ROW_NUMBER() is used because you're planning for missing identity values due to deleted rows?

The cluster on the identity column is primarily for architectural reasons - as you know, you can never depend on IDENTITY columns to be contiguous, regardless of whether rows are ever deleted.

The ROW_NUMBER is just used to assign a sequential number in selected key order, and to make the selection of keys for the page we want easy.

The only reason I order by the underlying key (post_id) rather than the ROW_NUMBER (rn) is purely a limitation of the optimiser. We both know that the order of ROW_NUMBER assignment matches the ORDER BY of the ranking function, but the current optimiser does not include that logic. Sorting on the key avoids a small extra sort - so it's all rather technical, but then so are many things with SQL Server

Given that, I'd like to see the tests run with some random rows deleted, to better reflect a real-world scenario.

The full test rig is available for download in the Resources section.

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #910388
Posted Monday, April 26, 2010 8:02 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 7:45 AM
Paul - very nice article. Looking forward to the next ones...

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #910391
Posted Monday, April 26, 2010 8:31 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, December 13, 2012 7:23 AM
Paul, great post and even better timing. We had an issue with paging on a larger table just last week and I've spent a fair amount of time trying to just understand the problem. I've read the article once and I'm looking forward to working with the scripts to learn more.

Our paging strategy is being implemented by our development team using Entity Framework to create the sql. That means the DBAs don't have much control over the generated Sql. Our fallback is to force developers to use stored procs.

I've got other questions, but I'll wait until researching further before posting them. In the meantime, I'm interested to know if you or anyone else has comments on Entity Framework in general or in this specific case.

Thanks.

Paul
Post #910424
Posted Monday, April 26, 2010 8:59 AM

SSChampion

pbarbin (4/26/2010)
Paul, great post and even better timing. We had an issue with paging on a larger table just last week and I've spent a fair amount of time trying to just understand the problem. I've read the article once and I'm looking forward to working with the scripts to learn more.

Cool. Thanks.

I've got other questions, but I'll wait until researching further before posting them. In the meantime, I'm interested to know if you or anyone else has comments on Entity Framework in general or in this specific case.

I'm pretty sure some of the regulars on the Forums have some strong views on this - can I ask you to post any specific questions there - you'll get a better response too. Thank you.

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #910453
Posted Monday, April 26, 2010 9:10 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Friday, July 11, 2014 12:42 PM
Nice article. I'm looking forward to the next 2 installments. I like how indepth you go with the query plans. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Use Full Links:
KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum
Post #910462
Posted Monday, April 26, 2010 9:14 AM

SSChampion

Trey Staker (4/26/2010)
Nice article. I'm looking forward to the next 2 installments. I like how indepth you go with the query plans. Thanks.

Thanks Trey - I do try to keep the articles focussed, but I *do* love query plans!

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #910464
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse