Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Worst Practice - Bad Comments Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, December 9, 2013 5:19 AM
Is there anyone out there at the other end of the scale. With a live constantly evolving production system with next to no comments and no documentation? Yes I know its 2003 .....

Nigel Moore
======================
Post #50813
Posted Friday, January 24, 2003 3:33 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, December 9, 2013 5:19 AM
Any suggestions on the best approach to tackle such a situation if you inherit it?

Nigel Moore
======================
Post #50814
Posted Friday, January 24, 2003 3:45 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 1:07 AM
If it works its obsolete

It depends on the nature of the evolution. If it is constantly trying to implement new stuff then this suggests that you are not able to implement proper change control/testing procedures.

It also suggests that you are dependent on individuals with key knowledge of the system.

I say this because if you work in teams then you simply can't do without good documentation. The team cannot function without knowledge share. Knowledge share includes documentation

Trying to implement good practice retrospectively is hell.

Ideally, you need to get agreement to slow down the evolution and have set release timetables, but you need management to buy into this.

Sell it as
  • Long term reduced cost
  • Improved quality
  • Long term Increase productivity

To use a military analogy, after every advance you need to consolidate your position and make sure that the supply lines do not become over extended and therefore vulnerable.

Think of the supply lines as being the path to bring a new team member up to speed on the system

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #50815
Posted Friday, January 24, 2003 4:15 AM
SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:57 AM
Some of the early products are this way. They changed almost everyday depending on who called you and none of the code had documentation or comments so you were left reading it. Some of the older code is still out there without comments but about a year ago we got everyone into the habit of doing comments if no documentation (self documenting). All and all things have gotten much better. It takes me about and 8th the time to figure out what to change to correct most situations and we forced the end users to go thru a project manager who would validate need, time and priority (which priority was the key, no more now stuff). But as David states it is a pain.

I agree with everyone here on comment header blocks with details of who, when and why in them. Maybe MS will move this into SQL like they have done with column and other comments so you don't have to do this but I doubt it.

Post #50816
Posted Friday, January 24, 2003 7:31 AM
SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Friday, March 22, 2013 8:57 AM
Headers are essential. They not only indicate who made a change (provided the author still works with you) but also tie a change to a work order here, allowing you to find the original requirements to see the reasoning behind it.

Post #50817
Posted Friday, January 24, 2003 10:15 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Saturday, February 22, 2014 2:31 AM
quote:

So for all those out there who randomly use lower case and upper case and argue that the code works just fine regardless of what you use - refer to Andy Warren's line where he says that neatness contributes to readabilty - & readability finally contributes to maintenance - Just like you wouldn't trash your house with litter, look upon your code the same way - take pride both in it's functionality AND appearance!!!

There's more to it. If you are a vendor and ship your database code to your clients' place, your procedures will fail to run on a case sensitive SQL Server. It is important to be consistent and correct in the usage of case, if you want your code to work at all your client sites.

HTH,
Vyas
http://vyaskn.tripod.com/

HTH,
Vyas
SQL Server MVP
http://vyaskn.tripod.com/
Post #50818
Posted Friday, January 24, 2003 10:32 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, August 18, 2014 8:49 AM
You learn something new every day - since I've never come across a case-sensitive instance of Sql server ever before (limited experience ??) I wasn't even aware that the option to create one existed.

BTW - why would anyone want to create a case-sensitive instance of sql server - at first I thought it could be for a similar reason as declaring an "option explicit" in vb - but that really doesn't make any sense ???

**ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI !!!**
Post #50819
Posted Friday, January 24, 2003 11:28 AM

SSC Journeyman

SSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC JourneymanSSC Journeyman

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 9:52 AM
A very good thread, thanks again Andy!

I do like to include a header, for many of the same reasons others have mentioned. I've included a sample of a typical one I've been using for the past 9 months that's worked out pretty well when either our new developer or I have to go back and look at a procedure.

In light of Andy's article, I think I can start eliminating the name of the procedure in the first line of the comments

I like to include a brief description of what the procedure is for and any "interesting" things going on inside that might not be obvious from a first or second reading.

Then I list any parameters and what they mean or any limitations on them.

I usually list table aliases, and finally, I include a "depends on" section -- but now I'm wondering if I should add a section of what depends on the SP.

I don't put a list of variables, because I try to create variables that are self-explanatory by their names and context and use functions to aid in clarity, such as

SET @Qtr1StartDate = FirstDayOfMonthYearAgoThisMonth(@RunDate)
SET @Qtr2StartDate = DateAdd(qq, 1, FirstDayOfMonthYearAgoThisMonth(@RunDate))

I think I can begin leaving off the "modifications" comments - you guys are right - that's easier and better done via source control.

Best regards,
SteveR

/* **************************************************************************************
spRptDoDByCutoffBasis

Usage: EXEC dbo.spRptDoDByCutoffBasis 42782, '4/11/02', 'S', 'F'

Description: Outputs the PXZX and Units/1000 for the immediate past year
and the previous year, figured from the RunDate parameter.
The FromDate of the immediate past year is 1 year prior to
the first day of the RunDate month. The ToDate of the
immediate past year is the last day of the month preceding
the RunDate. The corresponding parameters for the "LastYear"
dates are 1 year earlier

Parameters: @SavedReportID - PK of record in table WH_SavedReports - used
to provide lists of Bases included, Departments included, etc.
@RunDate - used to calculate From and To dates for immediate past year
and the previous year
@RegularOrSpecialCount - 'R' for PRZX, 'S' for PSZX. Defaults to 'R'
@UseStartOrFinishDate - whether data is grabbed based on Start ('S') or
FinishDate ('F')

Table Aliases: c = WH_1Processes_xxxx
d = WH_ParentCodes
p = WH_Procedures

Depends On: Function dbo.spGetRegularAndSpecialCounts (therefore requires SQL Server 2000 or higher)

By : S. Rosenbach 09/12/2002
Modified : S. Rosenbach 09/23/2002 - added ability to run using either Start or Finish Date
S. Rosenbach 10/03/2002 - modified definition of running as Finish to mean finished by
the Run Date AND Posted by the current date.

*********************************************************************************** */

Post #50820
Posted Friday, January 24, 2003 11:30 AM

SSC Journeyman

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 9:52 AM
whoops, talk about a good example of things not retaining original spacing when you cut and paste... my header example lost all of my laborious indentation.

-- SteveR

Post #50821
Posted Friday, January 24, 2003 3:20 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: Moderators
Last Login: Friday, August 29, 2014 8:46 AM
So the consensus is for headers then? Minus indents (Steve R)?

Anyone storing more proc meta data elsewhere? Other than VSS I mean.

Andy
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Andy
SQLAndy - My Blog!
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Follow me on Twitter
Post #50822
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse