Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Defensive Programming Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 7:20 AM
r.hensbergen (4/23/2010)
Amazing how many people said 1859... Only halfway through WWII computers were really programmable (and used for military reasons) and the word was used as such... BTW programmers were all female at that time :)

And just to confuse things, the programmers were (assuming you mean halfway through WWII and not 1859) called "lady computers", and the machines were called something quite different.

Tom
Post #909389
Posted Friday, April 23, 2010 7:22 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Friday, September 19, 2014 8:20 AM
P Jones (4/23/2010)
I originally wondered if it was by Charles Babbage or Ada Lovelace as it was appropriate even then.

Yeah, I was thinking maybe Charles Babbage or Ada Lovelace, guessed 1859, and got it wrong. Turns out that Ada Lovelace had died in 1852 anyway, although Babbage didn't figure in the correct answer either.

- webrunner

-------------------
"Operator! Give me the number for 911!" - Homer Simpson

"A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and says 'Can I join you?'"
Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html
Post #909433
Posted Friday, April 23, 2010 7:22 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 7:35 AM
This is still true today. Humans haven't really changed that much since this was written. We are not more accurate, we are not faster, and we still can't get out of the way of our own assumptions. So we endeavour to think, think, think, test, test, test, and do our best to learn from experience, and if we are lucky/good we can also learn from the experience of others.
Post #909434
Posted Friday, April 23, 2010 8:17 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:56 AM
Got it wrong. Even can't find correct answer in Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_programming

and some examples: http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/vba/vba-defensive_programming.htm

SQL DBA.
Post #909515
Posted Friday, April 23, 2010 8:35 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, November 8, 2011 11:26 AM
I the title of the paper really "The diagnosis of mstakes in programmes on the EDSAC" by S. Gill,? I.e. is "mistakes" purposely misspelled by S. Gill? Or was that a transcription error by the QOTD poster?
Post #909534
Posted Friday, April 23, 2010 8:45 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 7:31 AM
Woohoo - 6 points for a GUESS! I figured in WWII and assumed mid-fifities and beyond were just a little late. Technology started rolling pretty fast even back then so I took a stab in the dark and WON!! ~pats self on back~

-- You can't be late until you show up.
Post #909544
Posted Friday, April 23, 2010 8:48 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 9:48 AM
A nice research question. I got it right because of Google.

If I had not looked it up, I would have guessed a much earlier date. Initially I figured that it was a reference to some sort of general logical thinking and that the programmes were either military programmes, using arithmetic in devising trajectories, forecasting, etc or some other sort of programmes used in mechanical engineering from the industrial revolution. Glad I looked it up!
Post #909549
Posted Friday, April 23, 2010 9:18 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, August 25, 2014 11:18 AM
An interesting and article; the applicability of which seems to become more poignant each year.

http://www.jstor.org/pss/98663
Post #909588
Posted Friday, April 23, 2010 9:21 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 5:05 PM
Found the article on Google. This looks like it could be a very interesting article! When I have some free time (whatever that is), I'm going to have to get a copy of it and read it!
Post #909594
Posted Friday, April 23, 2010 9:52 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 7:20 AM
hanziou (4/23/2010)
I the title of the paper really "The diagnosis of mstakes in programmes on the EDSAC" by S. Gill,? I.e. is "mistakes" purposely misspelled by S. Gill? Or was that a transcription error by the QOTD poster?

It's my transcription error, the author of the paper was more careful than I was (I guess if you are getting you department head to put a paper of yoursup for the Royal Society you are very very careful indeed).

Tom
Post #909630
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse