Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

"The file size property is incorrect" - MSSQL Error 5172 Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:35 PM
I'm running an MSSQL 2005 server on a Windows 2008 platform, and I am trying to attach a database. I don't know the history of these database files, but I have an .mdf, a .ndf, and a .ldf file that are all about 3GB in size.

I open up Management Studio, and when I try to attach the .mdf file, I get the error:

"The header for file 'Path\to\file.MDF' is not a valid database file header. The FILE SIZE property is incorrect. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 5172)."

I'm not sure of what these files went through before they came to me, but after seeing the .mdf I assumed they had been detached and could be reattached on a new machine. If anyone could offer some help or advice about this error message, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Post #909097
Posted Monday, May 3, 2010 12:46 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, September 15, 2014 5:34 AM
Seems like ur file is corrupted...
Post #914482
Posted Monday, May 3, 2010 1:06 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 3:43 PM
If the file header is damaged, the database cannot be opened. That's one of the things that there's no workaround for.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #914488
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse