Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

SQL Server Ranking Functions Expand / Collapse
Author
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:00 PM
So, I've overcome the inability to display columnar formats in SSRS subreports by using ROW_NUMBER() along with some modulus "hack-a-math". Here's a brief use case.

Let's say that a customer can have one or more addresses. Using an SSRS subreport, you'd waste a lot of paper displaying these in one column. But, if you could give each address a "RowNumber" and "ColumnNumber", you could drop the addresses into a matrix using RowNumber and ColumnNumber as your groupings.

This revelation, single handedly, was my greatest self-discovery in SQL code in conjunction with SSRS, if I do say so myself.

-------------------
Brian Zive
Assistant Director, Systems
Business Intelligence Analyst
Massachusetts General Hospital
Development Office

Massachusetts General Hospital
Development Office
Post #906861
Posted Tuesday, April 20, 2010 8:44 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 10:01 AM
Great article, thanks for writing it and answering people's questions.

ThomasLL

Thomas LeBlanc, MCITP DBA 2005, 2008 & MCDBA 2000
http://thesmilingdba.blogspot.com/
Post #906908
Posted Tuesday, April 20, 2010 8:59 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:21 AM
I see these functions in Oracle queries all the time and only partly understood what was going on - thanks for explaining it the SQL Server way! Now I can translate the Oracleisms!
Post #906929
Posted Tuesday, April 20, 2010 9:04 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Monday, March 10, 2014 3:52 PM
Wayne, Great article! It came a long ways. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Use Full Links:
KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum
Post #906941
Posted Tuesday, April 20, 2010 9:53 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 12:59 AM
Jeff Moden (4/19/2010)
Yowch... the formatting monster hit the code hard on this one. I hope Steve can fix it soon.

I think it's all fixed now... all the code is in one block, and missing spaces have been added back in. Sure makes it a lot easier to read now. Thanks Steve!

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #906996
Posted Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:18 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:50 AM
Thanks Wayne, I had been meaning to investigate the ranking/window functions but hadn't gotten the time yet. Your article with the clear examples made it a cinch to understand the differences.
Post #907036
Posted Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:08 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Today @ 12:25 AM
WayneS (4/20/2010)
SW_Lindsay (4/20/2010)
Nice and helpful article - Thanks. Just Curious...

To select eligible candidates in the first select you say

select * from @Candidates where MeetsEligibility = convert(bit,1);

Why do you convert the 1 into a bit? just saying 1 works. I know that the data type for MeetsEligibility is a bit and I'm just curious if there are efficiencies is converting explicitly like this or is it just a readability thing?

Steve

Avoiding an "Implicit conversion". The literal 1 is an integer, resulting in the underlying field being converted to an integer to do the match... if there is an index on this field, it won't be used. Converting the 1 to a bit avoids the implicit conversion, and allows use of an index if one is present.

Personally, I wish there were system variables @@True and @@False of datatype bit, set to 1/0 respectively.

You can use 'TRUE' and 'FALSE' as quoted strings - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177603.aspx

Your implicit conversion comment is incorrect - as I understand it, the column is treated like any exact numeric from a query perspective. An index will be used if appropriate. That will primarily be determined by whether other non-columns are required (as in your example) and by the selectivity of the index.

Matt.
Post #907185
Posted Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:26 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 12:59 AM
matt stockham (4/20/2010)
You can use 'TRUE' and 'FALSE' as quoted strings - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177603.aspx

I didn't know this... just tried it out, and it does work.

Your implicit conversion comment is incorrect - as I understand it, the column is treated like any exact numeric from a query perspective. An index will be used if appropriate. That will primarily be determined by whether other non-columns are required (as in your example) and by the selectivity of the index.

Matt.

I could have sworn that I had seen this happen before, but I can't duplicate it. Using 'TRUE', 'FALSE', 1, 0, or a 1/0 cast into an int variable all are producing an index seek for me, so I guess it isn't necessary.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #907196
Posted Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:43 PM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, March 27, 2014 8:50 AM
matt stockham (4/20/2010)

Matt,

Thanks for some reason I never saw that, I think that will help make some code more readable.
Post #907207
Posted Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:47 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:49 AM
Thanks to all this is why I subscibe to learn something and I learned a lot from this article and subsequent discussion.

steve
Post #907209
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse