Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Company Rewards Expand / Collapse
Author
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 3:24 AM
Time off.

If I complete a major project then it'd be nice for the boss to say "Take Thursday and Friday off next week and have a long weekend".

Yeah, something like that would be really nice.
Post #904679
Posted Friday, April 16, 2010 5:47 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Yesterday @ 1:35 PM
Ben Moorhouse (4/16/2010)
A kettle that we're allowed to use in the office!
This would be both a nice gift and a way to save money by not going to Starbucks :) (Sorry Starbucks - I do love your coffee, it's just the money thing!)

My company has to keurig coffee machines, an expresso machine and about 50 different types of coffee and tea. All free of charge. It doesn't cost them a fortune by any means and it's a great perk. We also have an indoor olympic size heated pool, a gym, yoga studio, and putting green. It all makes for a great place to work.

edit:

Oh, and 5 weeks vacation
Post #904737
Posted Friday, April 16, 2010 5:54 AM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Wednesday, January 2, 2013 12:15 PM
I think I'll take the money!
Post #904745
Posted Friday, April 16, 2010 5:55 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:11 AM
We have free coffee, but it's horrible... Right... get me an application form.. quick!
I don't care where you are in the world or what the wage is!
(joking of course... unless you're near Leeds? )
Post #904747
Posted Friday, April 16, 2010 5:56 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:59 PM
I'm one of the lucky ones. My employer already gives me many benefits:
health insurance
Work at Home
Pays for Phone line and Internet
Flexible Hours
Results based performance ratings.
computer refresh every 3 years.
4 weeks vacation.
10 holidays.

The only perk I wish I had were S.M.A.R.T. goals. Most of them are not measurable. They are also so general because they came from the CEO down. I do not understand how I am rated. Why would I get a Meets Expectation instead of an Exceeds? What is the criteria to get one rating over another. This gives me a lot of stress every quarter. If this problem was fixed, I'd feel a lot better.

Post #904749
Posted Friday, April 16, 2010 6:05 AM
Ten Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, January 9, 2014 4:10 PM
Considering a few factors:

1. I am not independently wealthy
2. I do not work for a corporation because I enjoy it
3. My top priority, bar none, is my families well being and contentment
4. Our household normally goes against the grain, when compared against the general population, in almost every facet.

I would rather receive a cash bonus and allow my family the opportunity to decide what 'bonus' to receive. Regardless of the intent, I can all but guarantee that any gift as a bonus would not be the choice that would have been made.
Post #904752
Posted Friday, April 16, 2010 6:18 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, July 12, 2013 8:13 AM
Money is nice but spent all too quickly - there is no lasting reminder of any effort you put forward.

Once I was asked to led a 3-week crash effort for EDS to salvage the GM Credit Card processing from buckling under load. It had the highest corporate visibility possible. We completed round the clock efforts late Thanksgiving evening to migrate to faster hardware and completely re-architect the CICS regions used for Credit Authorizations. The site was out of state so I missed Thanksgiving with my family. We waited and hoped. On "Black Friday", the account surpassed all prior numbers for authorizations processed and all within SLA's. An understatement - EVERYONE was happy.

As a reward I was offered a weekend at the beach with my family, or a gift. I wanted something tangible, so I choose a nice patio table and chairs set for our new house. Almost 20 years later, the set is still in use on the porch. Last weekend as we used it again, it recalls to me and the family the personal sacrifice, and to me the personal satisfaction of hard, skillful work well done, and the happy memories of the time, the events, and the team.

Money would be long gone and forgotten, or another beach trip would now be a far fading memory if recalled at all.

Every day though, I have and can use a lasting reward for effort and a tangible "thanks!" from my employer.

Wayne Starnes
Database Administrator
Post #904763
Posted Friday, April 16, 2010 6:19 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:26 AM
To be honest, I'd be happy with anything. When I worked at a for-profit, I got nothing, well, that's not true the first couple of years we got a turkey at thanksgiving (US), but the last few nothing. I would have been totally shocked by a bonus, cash or otherwise at that company.

Here's what I'd like to see in an employer:

1. Flexible work hours.
2. Comp time, so if I need to work extra hours one week/day to get a problem solved I can re-coup the family time lost.
3. Generous vacation time. 2 weeks just isn't enough.
4. A training/conference budget for me. Tell me what I get and let me spend it on what I want in regard to professional books, classes, or conferences.
5. Good health insurance w/ dental and vision. With kids this is a big deal.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
Post #904765
Posted Friday, April 16, 2010 6:27 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Friday, December 12, 2014 8:13 AM
I think cengland0 and I may work for the same employer . Knowing what you need to do to earn a bonus is as important, I think, as actually receiving a bonus. Otherwise at bonus time it can seem like cash falls randomly from the upper floors, landing on some people and not on others without any particular pattern -- not good for morale, in my experience.

As far as receiving bonuses in cash or in kind, for me it depends on the amount, and what gifts are being handed out. Generally speaking, I'd rather have a paid-for long weekend with my wife than, say, $500, but for anything over $1000 or so I'd rather have the cash.
Post #904773
Posted Friday, April 16, 2010 6:45 AM

Ten Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:59 PM
jeff.mach (4/16/2010)
I think cengland0 and I may work for the same employer

I just looked you up in our corporate directory and if you live in Addison Tx, then we definitely work for the same company.
Post #904786
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse