Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««123

Rowcount and multiple assignment Expand / Collapse
Author
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 9:37 AM
Well, I thought I'd @@ROWCOUNT in the bag until this came along
Nice question.
Post #903593
Posted Thursday, April 15, 2010 1:20 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:47 PM
rjv_rnjn (4/14/2010)
Well, I thought I'd @@ROWCOUNT in the bag until this came along
Nice question.

Everytime I thought I'd something in the bag I realized I have overlooked some detail. Very often it's a very important detail

See, understand, learn, try, use efficient
© Dr.Plch
Post #903807
Posted Thursday, April 15, 2010 1:54 AM
Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, April 03, 2014 10:26 AM
I enjoyed working this one out, line by line :)

Good little puzzle to start the day. Thanks!
Post #903826
Posted Thursday, April 15, 2010 1:56 AM
Ten Centuries

Last Login: Thursday, April 03, 2014 10:26 AM
? ... from BOL ...

"Statements that make a simple assignment always set the @@ROWCOUNT value to 1. No rows are sent to the client. Examples of these statements are: SET @local_variable, RETURN, READTEXT, and select without query statements such as SELECT GETDATE() or SELECT 'Generic Text'."

... and ..

"Statements such as USE, SET <option>, DEALLOCATE CURSOR, CLOSE CURSOR, BEGIN TRANSACTION or COMMIT TRANSACTION reset the ROWCOUNT value to 0."
Post #903827
Posted Friday, April 16, 2010 8:59 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Friday, April 11, 2014 1:04 PM
I spend 30 precious minutes every Friday reading my SQL Server Central articles and attempting the QotD. This is the first time I cheated (IMHO) and ran the code for an answer. Like other people, the 111 was a surprise to me and is highly useful esoteric knowledge for future use... In short - excellent QotD!
Post #904945
Posted Saturday, April 17, 2010 5:30 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:06 PM
Rune Bivrin (4/14/2010)
It's important to note that SET @result = cast (@@rowcount as varchar) does NOT change @@ROWCOUNT. The first 1 comes from the last INSERT #n VALUES(3).

This is one of the important differences between SELECT and SET when assigning variables. SET never yields a rowcount, and thus doesn't change @@ROWCOUNT.

Someone may already have said this, but in case they haven't:

That is very wrong (but it doesn't make a difference to the answer in this case because a SET @localvariable statement sets @@rowcount to 1).

From BoL (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms187316.aspx):
Statements that make a simple assignment always set the @@ROWCOUNT value to 1. No rows are sent to the client. Examples of these statements are: SET @local_variable, RETURN, READTEXT, and select without query statements such as SELECT GETDATE() or SELECT 'Generic Text'.

This can be demonstrated by a small adaptation to the code of the question:
declare @result varchar (5)
create table #n (n int)
insert #n values (1),(2),(2)
set @result = cast (@@rowcount as varchar)
/*SET NOCOUNT OFF*/
select @result = @result + cast (@@rowcount as varchar) from #n
select @result + cast (@@rowcount as varchar)
drop table #n

which will deliver 31113, not 33333 as would be the case if SET did not set @@rowcount.

Tom
Post #905384
Posted Sunday, April 18, 2010 5:06 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:58 PM
Tom.Thomson (4/17/2010)

Actually, pretty much every other post so far has covered it and Rune responded:
"Yep, I was wrong about that. And I even ran a test to verify my thought before I posted, but I managed to read the results of that test wrong. My bad. I suppose that was because I expected it to work that way simply based on the fact that SET doesn't yield a 1 row(s) affected." Ah, well. Learn something new everyday.

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #905552
Posted Sunday, April 18, 2010 9:55 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:06 PM
Paul White NZ (4/18/2010)
Tom.Thomson (4/17/2010)

Actually, pretty much every other post so far has covered it and Rune responded:
"Yep, I was wrong about that. And I even ran a test to verify my thought before I posted, but I managed to read the results of that test wrong. My bad. I suppose that was because I expected it to work that way simply based on the fact that SET doesn't yield a 1 row(s) affected." Ah, well. Learn something new everyday.

Yes, if I had read all the posts before firing up the editor I wouldn't have bothered.

Tom
Post #905568
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««123

Permissions Expand / Collapse