Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Are you preparing for SQL Server 2008 R2? Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 4:16 PM
In terms of cost, you would have to research your situation. 2008 was the same cost as 2005, but 2008 R2 has a price increase.

Why do you want to upgrade? Are you concerned about support?

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #901830
Posted Monday, April 12, 2010 12:02 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, November 14, 2014 10:29 AM
I personally (as opposed to reasons from our organization) want to upgrade for two reasons: 1) I think the 2005 performance or perhaps just our implementation of it has been flakey. I'm hoping we will get rid of the weirdness with 2008. 2) I'm very interested in the new T-SQL options such as the MERGE statement and the files data type. I have a need for both.

Is R2 expected to be any more "stable" than plain old 2008? (Or is that called R1? I don't like this naming convention. I think a new version should get a real new name. <side rant>)
Post #901833
Posted Monday, April 12, 2010 12:03 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 5:34 PM
JJ B (4/12/2010)
To all those kind people with opinions about upgrading, I wonder what your thoughts are for people still on 2005? We want to upgrade but are uncertain which version to upgrade to. We don't really use the BI features. If we can get in at the lower cost for just 2008, would that make the most sense?

I'll look for myself to see what R2 has. I'm just curious what you folks think since you've done some research yourself already.

Thanks for any thoughts you have.

If you are going to upgrade, don't use the BI, and just want to go SQL 2008 - do it before May. Unless you already have the licenses for 2008 bought. After May, you will likely be required to buy the R2 licenses. At which point you might as well upgrade to R2.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #901836
Posted Monday, April 12, 2010 2:25 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 3:34 PM
The only feature I have seen in SQL 2008 R2 that really looks worthwhile is Standard Edition backup compression.

Post #901967
Posted Monday, April 12, 2010 2:29 PM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, November 14, 2014 10:29 AM
Jason: Thanks for the head's up on the deadlines. I'll be passing that info onto my boss.
Post #901970
Posted Monday, April 12, 2010 2:32 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 5:34 PM
You're welcome. Just keep in mind that that information is based on the release of R2. Microsoft can change that as well as implement licensing procedures for the new product as they see fit. It would be best to consult with Microsoft or your License vendor to confirm.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #901975
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse