Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

SSRS In a Flash Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:24 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, July 10, 2013 6:39 AM
I agree too! Well written indeed. Waiting for the next. :)
Post #1398261
Posted Wednesday, December 19, 2012 10:37 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 2:29 PM
Very good introduction. I am looking forward to learn basics and then advances options like creating chart, grahphs , automatic emails to user, scheduling etc... Can't wait for the next article.
Post #1398549
Posted Sunday, December 23, 2012 4:58 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:06 PM
Canned meat reported.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #1399771
Posted Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:02 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:46 AM
Good article to start learning the basics.

As an underpaid IT person who ended up managing sql server and database instead of just the application, I realized that the third party data mining application is not enough to fulfill some of the reports needed by our users. Just started learning SSRS and loving it. Can't wait to read the rest of this series. Thank you for sharing.
Post #1509854
Posted Wednesday, June 11, 2014 8:06 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 5:05 AM
None of us are perfect.
we all make mistakes and some are worse than others.

So.....Jessica you will be flogged with a wet noodle!

you must, must, must, must always reference what software and what specific version of the software and platform you are talking about!!!!
don't make me do stupid investigative searches to find out what version your are talking about.
from a screen shot in Level 2 it appears you are talking about SQL Server 2008 R2 on a Win 7 platform.
I can't tell if you are using the 32bit or 64bit version, it shouldn't matter, but sometimes it does depending on what you're doing.

Other than that, I can't wait to go through your articles.

Thank you for taking the time to write and publish them.
Post #1579636
Posted Friday, July 4, 2014 3:18 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Friday, July 18, 2014 1:05 AM
All of this is all well and good until you try to use it like:

• Use custom authentication so you can use it on a web app across the internet

• Use the report builder to make simple master/child details

• MS made a school boy implementation error with Report builder where it doesn't close connections when it's done with them meaning you crash it fairly easily. We used some of our MS partner support time to get a workaround figured out whereby you can extend the max connections from 1 to a maximum of 1024 so you can delay the crash for a while

• Have report parameters that show a list of options obtained from the database alphabetically ordered

...it is such hard work.
The custom authentication is a massive headache. There are not many resources online about the configuration required. There is no UI whatsoever to do this you have to do it all by hand changing XML files where one wrong character can screw you over.

MS has depreciated report models in SSRS 2012 so pretty screwed if you are using them once 2008 R2 is dropped from MS support.

Creating a simple report that shows a master line, several details rows, master line, several details rows which takes 5 minutes in something like MS Access after writing the query is only possible with a sub report that has it's own dataset in SSRS - i.e. a lot more work - at least using report builder - which given the context of a self-surface web app is the only option.

Think very carefully about your requirements before integrating this into your product. I for one would love to rip it out and not use it - we only used it because we were using SQL Server for the data storage so we already had it - hindsight, sweet hindsight - if only I could have seen the future.
Post #1589246
Posted Friday, July 4, 2014 1:48 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:39 AM
This looks promising. Looking forward for more.

What are your plans ?

Visual Studio 2008 or the SSRS report builder ?

Will you use SQL Server datasets or use FetchXML ? FetchXML did not impress me too much last year when I found out it could not support what I could do easily in T-SQL:

SELECT AccountIdName, SUM(TotalAmount_Base) AS AccountTotal FROM Invoice GROUP BY AccoountIdName

A thing to note: caution is required using T-SQL and directly refering to tables instead of views. In its wisdom, for CRM 2013, MS dumped the idea of creating ...ExtensionBase tables when new fields are created with the CRM environment. All custom fields are now added to the ...Base tables. Which means migrating my T-SQL-based reports from CRM 2011 to CRM 2013 I will have to rewrite my T-SQL so stop looking for ...ExtensionBase tables.

I did not like too much using the Views automatically constructed by the CRM environment, each view returning typically 100 columns when I select only a half-dozen. Not familiar enough with the inner workings of SQL Server to determine whether or not the remaining 94 columns still end-up as dead weight overhead even if not selected.
Post #1589444
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse