Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Hunting and Gathering Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 8:29 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Hunting and Gathering
Post #890360
Posted Friday, March 26, 2010 2:02 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Monday, December 09, 2013 6:07 AM
It is rather strange that our faith in answers posted on the internet are taken as "Gospel Truth" . We generally pick up the first few answers returned by a search engine, implement it and then figure out that was not the best possible ;. We need to spend more time in figuring out, by going through the other search results and figuring out which would be a possible solution.
Post #890430
Posted Friday, March 26, 2010 5:48 AM

Ten Centuries

Ten CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen CenturiesTen Centuries

Last Login: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 9:09 AM
"have you tried switching if off and on again" (the last one is a joke, of course).

That does work sometimes!
Post #890527
Posted Friday, March 26, 2010 6:15 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, April 17, 2014 8:12 AM
paul s-306273 (3/26/2010)
"have you tried switching if off and on again" (the last one is a joke, of course).

That does work sometimes!
treating the symptom, not the disease...

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #890542
Posted Friday, March 26, 2010 6:20 AM

SSCrazy

Raju Lalvani (3/26/2010)
It is rather strange that our faith in answers posted on the internet are taken as "Gospel Truth" . We generally pick up the first few answers returned by a search engine, implement it and then figure out that was not the best possible ;. We need to spend more time in figuring out, by going through the other search results and figuring out which would be a possible solution.
Did anybody ever tell you that if you Drop the Master dbs, you'll no longer have *any problems* with your servers?

mainly because you won't be working there anymore...

If we don't find out WHY something works, the pros and cons of it, etc, before implementing in production, then yeah, we definitely need to change our patterns.

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
Post #890546
Posted Friday, March 26, 2010 6:21 AM

SSCrazy

Twitter, #sqlhelp hashtag. Some of the folks who wrote BOL might respond and clarify the issue for you.

Post #890547
Posted Friday, March 26, 2010 8:02 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:38 AM
I search to get a direction moreso than an answer. Thinking about it, you do the exact same thing within your own team of coworkers. Someone gives you advice and you act on it. The net is no different, it's just a little bigger.

Post #890641
Posted Friday, March 26, 2010 8:07 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 7:58 AM
Interesting article. I know I'm always searching google for technical information.

For those concerned with the AWE settings the following are some information concerning the memory settings on SQL Server.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/glennberry/archive/2009/11/01/two-very-important-configuration-settings-for-sql-server-2005_2F00_2008.aspx
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/blogs/glennberry/archive/2009/10/29/suggested-max-memory-settings-for-sql-server-2005_2F00_2008.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/slavao/archive/2006/11/13/q-a-does-sql-server-always-respond-to-memory-pressure.aspx
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Lock+Pages+in+Memory/67975/
Post #890653
Posted Friday, March 26, 2010 8:48 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:49 PM
Interesting article. I didn't quite expect something of this nature in an editorial. This was a good read.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #890706
Posted Friday, March 26, 2010 10:44 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Tuesday, February 11, 2014 9:41 AM
This type of thing is where I really see value in the MVP program. I usually give the benefit of the doubt to advice/tips/explanations as when I see MVP by the name of the person offering it. That's not to say I disregard others, I just approach it a bit more skeptically until I am convinced of its accuracy.

Blog |
Twitter | LinkedIn

Post #890853
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse