Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««1234

Expanding The Scope of Bridge Tables Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, March 24, 2010 10:19 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, December 20, 2012 1:03 PM
David Korb (3/23/2010)
[quote]I have to vote no on "bridge" since I've seen it used with respect to data migration as well as company merger activities.

Vote "NO" on "Bridge"!

Didn't we already vote against the bridge to nowhere in the last election.

But I agree. This bridge needless abstraction to understanding fundamental relational techniques. Just getting past vendor-specific terminologies is enough of a hurdle. Why add more?
Post #889107
Posted Sunday, April 4, 2010 9:34 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:12 AM
David Portas (3/23/2010)
Ed-997158 (3/23/2010)
Thanks. I was just going to ask if "bridge table" didn't already have a different terminology

"Associative Entity" is semantic modelling terminology and not a relational database term. I've never found much use in the idea of singling out tables in this way. As far as I see it, a "bridge" or "associative" table can be any table with more than one foreign key. But why do we need a special name for tables with more than one foreign key?

Fundamentally there is just one type of relational table (i.e. a table that properly represents a relation). Any such table represents an N-ary relationship between its attributes and "associative" tables are not a special case in any important respect.

Are you saying that Codd's distinction between P-objects and E-objects can not exist in the relational calculus supported by your ideal relational database? If so I sure do hope I never have to program anything using that calculus!

Tom
Post #896422
Posted Monday, April 5, 2010 8:09 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, July 9, 2013 2:43 PM
Tom.Thomson (4/4/2010)

I found "The world will come to an end, but music and love will endure" as the translation for your second tag line, but might I request a translation for the first? Is it something about assumptions?

Cheers,
Ed
Post #896724
Posted Monday, April 5, 2010 8:42 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:12 AM
Ed-997158 (4/5/2010)

I found "The world will come to an end, but music and love will endure" as the translation for your second tag line, but might I request a translation for the first? Is it something about assumptions?

Cheers,
Ed

literal: [do] not pick me up without I fall but if [I do] fall pick [me] up
meaning: don't correct me unless I am wrong, but if I am wrong do correct me

Not really about assumptions, but can certainly be used in the context of making valid or invalid assumptions.

I suspect the translation you found for the other line was for a slightly different version: the difference is that gaol and ceòl (love and music) are in the opposite order. A quick check using google shows 2440 occurrences of the phrase (in Gaelic, I haven't searched for the English) with "love and music" and only 544 with "music and love", most of which I suspect come from a misquotation in one pop group's lyrics or from a similar misquotation in a learner's post (which may itself have been derived from those lyrics) to the gaidhlig-a discussion list.

I much prefer "survive" to "endure" - mairidh means roughly "will continue to live" so I think "endure" is a poor translation. But "endure" is much better than the amazing gaffe "be early": we use "nach maireann" (not living) where English uses "late", and a Japanese student who didn't understand what "late" meant in a phrase like "the late Mr Shakespeare" did manage (correctly) to connect mairidh with maireann, with the inevitable unfortunate result.

Tom
Post #897243
Posted Friday, June 4, 2010 11:57 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:58 AM
Tom.Thomson (4/5/2010)
Ed-997158 (4/5/2010)

Cheers,
Ed

literal: [do] not pick me up without I fall but if [I do] fall pick [me] up
meaning: don't correct me unless I am wrong, but if I am wrong do correct me

I much prefer "survive" to "endure" - mairidh means roughly "will continue to live" so I think "endure" is a poor translation.

I think the sense of endure as used the translation is "go on or last forever". For me, that makes the sentiment more powerful than survive. On the other hand, I don't know gaelic at all so I can't attest to how well it reflects the source. Isn't translating fun?
Post #932995
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««1234

Permissions Expand / Collapse