Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Double-Entry Bookkeeping for SQL Programmers Expand / Collapse
Author
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 10:09 AM
Steve is right: it was an idea inspired by working with Alex on his book. The editorial was not written with the sole purpose of plugging the book (and, in fact, the idea is not covered in the book).

However, Alex's book is certainly relevant, and I thought people might be interested to know about it.

Cheers,
Tony.
Post #896821
Posted Monday, April 5, 2010 10:10 AM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 10:07 PM
I think I was misled by a combination of the Related Articles links on the page (the top one takes you to the Editorial Review for the book), the link to the book in the article, and the frequent references to 'defensive programming'. The plugging appears to have been all in my mind.

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #896826
Posted Monday, April 5, 2010 8:49 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 10:15 AM
Paul White NZ (4/5/2010)
I think I was misled by a combination of the Related Articles links on the page (the top one takes you to the Editorial Review for the book), the link to the book in the article, and the frequent references to 'defensive programming'. The plugging appears to have been all in my mind.

It was in my mind too. The article seemed to be incidentally about double entry book-keeping as an example of defensive programming which was the main topic, despite the title. Maybe we both have the same sort of warped mind?

Tom
Post #897250
Posted Monday, April 5, 2010 9:37 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 8:40 AM
Tom.Thomson (4/5/2010)
[quote][b]Maybe we both have the same sort of warped mind?

Heh... 'zactly. And from what I've seen from your two folks posts in the past, it's not a bad thing.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #897290
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse