Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««56789»»

Answers to Your QOD Expand / Collapse
Author

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:32 PM
petertrast (3/20/2010)

And that is the reason that this forum is the only reason I visit every day. Lively, well-informed discussion is worth much more than the "points" we get for answering the question right. I have learned ten times more here in my first few weeks than I have in all other SQL forums in the last two years. I only wish it had not taken so long to find this site and start taking advantage of the learning opportunities...

Welcome to the community.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #886904
Posted Sunday, March 21, 2010 8:14 AM

SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:32 AM
MS is responsible for creating adequate documentation so the person answering the question can answer the question accurately
The panel I threw in because it seems all the other answers are correct and sometimes these questions contain what I call "the basic truths" where the question has answers that are all correct.
I don't know how to get back to the answers that were in the original question but here is my guess at what the other three were...
Steve can give us credit if he thinks it a good call, so he answers to the accuracy and is thus ultimately responsible for the accuracy of the answers.
The person who submits the original question - well, of course, that person is responsible for accuracy.
AND FINALLY-we who read and answer the question, through our due diligence are definitely responsible and thus, the existence of this forum...

So, yes, I think all are correct (outside of the Panel... I am just guessing that these answers don't appear on the site without some sort of review prior to them showing up here).

Jamie
Post #887072
Posted Sunday, March 21, 2010 9:57 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 3:16 PM
My answer to the qustion was "the writer of the question", but i agree that the reader also have a responibility.

I think it was a Good question, and i thank everone for their guts to publish questions, because they are judged very Hard sometimes.

Håkan Winther
SQL service Nordic AB

/Håkan Winther
MCITP:Database Developer 2008
MCTS: SQL Server 2008, Implementation and Maintenance
MCSE: Data Platform
Post #887086
Posted Monday, March 22, 2010 4:33 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:19 AM
Hi I joined the party late. Sorry for that. First the question was great. Secondly who is "RESPONSIBLE" to correct this question. WE ALL OF US RESPONSIBLE?

Hey guys this is a great community but anybody thought who made this community "GREAT"? Is it Steve or Jeff Moden or GilaMonster or Paul white or Grumpy DBA or Rufio (Sorry for others for not mentioning your names )? No it is all of us. We all are responsible. In a community one can make a mistake but others will immediately rectify him. This makes a community great. I found if a question is 'wrong' we all jump into it to find out the error, we Gooooooogle it and we all learn MORE than a correct question. Mistakes only makes us perfect. I would suggest atleast 1 wrong question (Every Friday - to get R&D time more) every week to make us learn more. We will later issue a HOTFIX (Like Microsoft) for these BUG questions.

I will suggest Steve to provide points (As incentive) to the user who will prove a question is wrong (With prove documents).

Post #887257
Posted Monday, March 22, 2010 4:38 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:32 AM
Hi I joined the party late. Sorry for that. First the question was great. Secondly who is "RESPONSIBLE" to correct this question. WE ALL OF US RESPONSIBLE?

I have a slightly different take - I said all the answers are correct - but I agree definitely with the statement above from Paul.

Jamie
Post #887258
Posted Monday, March 22, 2010 6:57 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Tuesday, July 5, 2011 8:18 AM
george sibbald (3/19/2010)
I don't think I am giving away the farm if I say that if the answer boxes are square there is more than one correct answer, a radio button means only one correct answer.

Proof!
I say proof that Microsoft is very much responsible for the accuracy of these answers...
And as for that nameless panel of individuals that chose that "check box" to be square rather than triangular or some other unspecified shape... Hang your heads guys: you have been outed... responsibility wise.
I propose in fact that all 5 answers are correct.
Furthermore I propose that there is a 6th possible option, as long as you consider that the statement "Those who attempt an answer" contributes to the accuracy of the answer. By the same logic then surely those who didn't "contribute" contribute in their own special way? Because is it not true that a fully accurate answer should acknowledge the existence of answers that have not been attempted that could have contributed to the full picture?
I'm not being pedantic here am I?
Post #887342
Posted Monday, March 22, 2010 8:06 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:03 AM
Anirban Paul (3/22/2010)
Hey guys this is a great community but anybody thought who made this community "GREAT"? Is it Steve or Jeff Moden or GilaMonster or Paul white or Grumpy DBA or Rufio

I got mentioned!!!!

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #887399
Posted Monday, March 22, 2010 9:00 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, July 14, 2014 9:47 AM
Personally, I got it correct - WAG.

My feelings are:

When I submit a question, it is my responsibility to ensure that the question is phrased in such a manner that the point of the question is understood. It is my responsibility to ensure the supporting documentation reflects that as well. (Personally, I think that if the only place you are looking for the answer is BOL, then you have a very limited basis for your reading enjoyment.)

When I answer the question, it is my responsibility to pass on any additional knowledge I may have aquired in helping the person who posted the question understand why they may be wrong. It is not to bully them or everyone else to seeing it my way. Frequently, I learn something more myself.

IMHO, Steve Jones job is simply to review the question to make sure that it is formated properly. I do not believe it to be his responsibility to make sure that the poster is correct. They should be the subject expert in their question.

Otherwise, we could add Microsoft for their problems in BOL or the writer of any material used, the editor of said material, the publisher of said material, etc. Now it is everyone elses fault, and I bear no responsibility and my world is perfect - except when I want to utilize some of this faulty documentation and then I am on here throwing a fit because all of these other people are wrong.

Just my rantings - but it seems to happen so often lately.

Steve Jimmo
Sr DBA
“If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Post #887431
Posted Monday, March 22, 2010 8:32 PM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Thursday, July 10, 2014 1:33 PM
I fell into the trap that others who answered this question did, in that it did not say "check all that apply" and only check the submitter box.

As having previously submitted a good question, I had made the mistake of including the "book" answer plus three other answer's off the top of head in which one of them was supposed to be close but wrong. Instead, the close response turned out to be an alternate correct answer of which I failed to closely look at the way I worded it. Consequently, the community thus chastised me severely.

Therefore I clearly can see how your correct responses are the right ones, but it truly should have said "check all that apply!"

Ron K.

"Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that humans can understand." -- Martin Fowler
Post #887822
Posted Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:09 AM
Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Monday, May 21, 2012 3:13 PM
Just a thought. This could be a catch-22.

If you answered just "The submitter of the question" and then came to the discussion when you saw that you answered "wrong" and made your point in the discussion, you have just made the answer that included "Those who attempt an answer" to be the "right" answer.

Steve

Post #889901
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««56789»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse