Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase «««34567»»

Full backup Scenario Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:23 AM
Festeron (3/29/2010)
Tom.Thomson (3/20/2010)
vk-kirov (3/20/2010)
Tom.Thomson (3/19/2010)
But a single select statement may write more pages than can be held in RAM and this means that dirty pages get to disc

"Insert statement", I believe?

Yes, of course. Silly me!

Can I ask you about the other end of the backup?

At what point does the backup decide it's time to stop backing up, even though there may be transactions still in flight? Does there come a time when backup decides to stop chasing its tail?

Or does it not back up anything in the log past the point at which the backup began?

As far as I know, it stops as soon as it reaches the end of the log file. That means that, in theory, you could envisage a scenario where the log file grows faster than the backup can read it, and the backup won't terminate. Though I am pretty sure that in practice, you'll never be able to make that happen.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #892067
Posted Monday, March 29, 2010 7:03 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2014 4:52 AM
Festeron (3/29/2010)
Can I ask you about the other end of the backup?

At what point does the backup decide it's time to stop backing up, even though there may be transactions still in flight? Does there come a time when backup decides to stop chasing its tail?

Or does it not back up anything in the log past the point at which the backup began?

Logically teh minimum that has to happen is that at the beginning of the backup it notes the point in the log where the oldest currently active transaction began, or the current position if there is no currently active transaction - call that the start position; then it copies all the database pages from disc to the backup media, and notes the current position in the log as the end position; then it writed all the log entries from the start position to the end position to the backup.
There are a couple of additional things backup could do to improvve performance: at some point before starting to write pages to backup media, it could write all dirty pages from cache to disc - this could be done either before or after (preferably before) working out the log start position; and it could write extra pages of the log to disc after the log stop position - either to the end of the log, or up to the last log entry that has commited a transaction. But there are a couple of issues with these "performance enhancements": (a) if pages are being dirtied fast enough the first trick will slow backup by more than in speeds recovery, so not much point to it; (b) extra log data after the stop point is all very well but theoretically with the end point defined either of the ways suggested it's possible that the log is growing fast enough that the backup will never terminate (and there's certainly some practical risk that it will take an excessive time to terminate). So MS may have kept it simple or may have done calculations which tell them which way will generally be best to go; only someone who knows their implementation of backup inside out will know what they have actually chosen to do (I certainly don't).

Tom
Post #892365
Posted Tuesday, March 30, 2010 12:54 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:23 AM
Tom.Thomson (3/29/2010)
(...)then it copies all the database pages from disc to the backup media
As far as I know, the backup process copies pages from cache to the backup file, not from disk. Pages not in cache will be read in first, just as for any other database operation.

There are a couple of additional things backup could do to improvve performance: at some point before starting to write pages to backup media, it could write all dirty pages from cache to disc
And how would that enhance performance? Either the backup copies pages from cache (in which case flushing dirty pages first doesn't change anything, except for the extra time taken to flush them), or it copies pages from disk (in which case flushing the dirty pages first influences which version of the data is in the backup(*), but not the backup time -again, except for the time taken to flush the dirty pages).

(*) ... and since the restore process will use the log portion of the backup to roll forward or roll back all transactions that were in process during the backup, it does not really matter which version of a dirty page is backed up.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Post #892491
Posted Tuesday, March 30, 2010 8:07 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:01 AM
Can't believe I got this one wrong

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #892795
Posted Tuesday, March 30, 2010 4:46 PM

SSCrazy Eights

SSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy EightsSSCrazy Eights

Last Login: Friday, September 12, 2014 4:52 AM
Hugo Kornelis (3/30/2010)
Tom.Thomson (3/29/2010)
(...)There are a couple of additional things backup could do to improvve performance: at some point before starting to write pages to backup media, it could write all dirty pages from cache to disc
And how would that enhance performance? Either the backup copies pages from cache (in which case flushing dirty pages first doesn't change anything, except for the extra time taken to flush them), or it copies pages from disk (in which case flushing the dirty pages first influences which version of the data is in the backup(*), but not the backup time -again, except for the time taken to flush the dirty pages).
Obviously it depends on what exactly the backup mechanism chosen by the designers of SQL Server is. On platforms which provide media to media transfer without passing through the computer's RAM copying from disc to cache and then from cache to backup media is inefficient - - but I have no idea whether any version of windows can use that feature even when hardware provides it so it may be that pushing stuff out to disc so that the copy process doesn't have to alternate between disc and RAM as source won't help by maximising the benefit of autonomous copy, and even if Windows can support this there's no guarantee that SQLS would support it. It is however true that even without autonomous copy it is faster, on some platforms, to arrange things so that very large chunks are written rather than a larger number of small ones, and in that case it's still possible that making it possible to transfer everything from disc and not refer to cache may give a performance gain; but again SQLS may have chosen not to do this as it may not be worth the effort (it may even be counterproductive on some platforms).

Tom
Post #893407
Posted Wednesday, March 31, 2010 12:27 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Hugo Kornelis (3/29/2010)
As far as I know, it stops as soon as it reaches the end of the log file. That means that, in theory, you could envisage a scenario where the log file grows faster than the backup can read it, and the backup won't terminate. Though I am pretty sure that in practice, you'll never be able to make that happen.

That is not possible, no. The backup operation only requires log records up to the point that the backup data read completes.
See Understanding SQL Server Backups by Paul Randal for a neat diagram to explain that statement visually.

Paul White
SQL Server MVP
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Post #893497
Posted Wednesday, March 31, 2010 12:42 AM

SSChampion

Tom.Thomson (3/19/2010)
If I undertand it rightly, the correct wording is more like "from the start of the oldest transaction that was uncommitted at the start of the backup, or from the first log entry after the start of the backup if there is no such transaction".

The start LSN of the backup is the minimum of:

• The LSN of the last checkpoint (note the backup operation starts by issuing a checkpoint)

• The LSN of the start of the oldest active transaction

• The LSN of the last replicated transaction

• See http://sqlkpi.com/BLOGS/PAUL/post/Debunking-a-couple-of-myths-around-full-database-backups.aspx

Paul White
    SQL Server MVP
    SQLblog.com
    @SQL_Kiwi
    Post #893504
    Posted Wednesday, March 31, 2010 1:42 AM

SSChampion

Tom.Thomson (3/29/2010)
    There are a couple of additional things backup could do to improve performance: at some point before starting to write pages to backup media, it could write all dirty pages from cache to disc - this could be done either before or after (preferably before) working out the log start position; and it could write extra pages of the log to disc after the log stop position - either to the end of the log, or up to the last log entry that has commited a transaction. But there are a couple of issues with these "performance enhancements": (a) if pages are being dirtied fast enough the first trick will slow backup by more than in speeds recovery, so not much point to it; (b) extra log data after the stop point is all very well but theoretically with the end point defined either of the ways suggested it's possible that the log is growing fast enough that the backup will never terminate (and there's certainly some practical risk that it will take an excessive time to terminate). So MS may have kept it simple or may have done calculations which tell them which way will generally be best to go; only someone who knows their implementation of backup inside out will know what they have actually chosen to do (I certainly don't).

The whole backup operation is conceptually quite simple:

Force a database checkpoint (flush all updated-in-memory pages to disk before anything is read by the backup)

Record the minimum recovery LSN (LSN1)

Database data read begins

Database data read ends

Record the current LSN (LSN2)

Read the transaction log from LSN1 to LSN2

Paul White
    SQL Server MVP
    SQLblog.com
    @SQL_Kiwi
    Post #893523
    Posted Wednesday, March 31, 2010 8:06 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Friday, June 13, 2014 3:03 PM
    Paul White NZ (3/31/2010)
    Tom.Thomson (3/29/2010)
    There are a couple of additional things backup could do to improve performance: at some point before starting to write pages to backup media, it could write all dirty pages from cache to disc - this could be done either before or after (preferably before) working out the log start position; and it could write extra pages of the log to disc after the log stop position - either to the end of the log, or up to the last log entry that has commited a transaction. But there are a couple of issues with these "performance enhancements": (a) if pages are being dirtied fast enough the first trick will slow backup by more than in speeds recovery, so not much point to it; (b) extra log data after the stop point is all very well but theoretically with the end point defined either of the ways suggested it's possible that the log is growing fast enough that the backup will never terminate (and there's certainly some practical risk that it will take an excessive time to terminate). So MS may have kept it simple or may have done calculations which tell them which way will generally be best to go; only someone who knows their implementation of backup inside out will know what they have actually chosen to do (I certainly don't).

The whole backup operation is conceptually quite simple:

Force a database checkpoint (flush all updated-in-memory pages to disk before anything is read by the backup)

Record the minimum recovery LSN (LSN1)

Database data read begins

Database data read ends

Record the current LSN (LSN2)

Read the transaction log from LSN1 to LSN2

Wow, simple explanation. Thanks!

Peter Trast
    Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
    Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems
    Post #893785
    Posted Wednesday, March 31, 2010 8:18 AM

SSChampion

Thank you, Peter. Of course, there are some edge cases and subtleties, but unless Mr Randal appears and tells me I know nothing about nothing...I'm happy with it.

Paul White
    SQL Server MVP
    SQLblog.com
    @SQL_Kiwi
    Post #893807
    « Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase «««34567»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse