Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Pro Developer : Throwing Money Out the Window Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, December 17, 2002 3:35 PM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, September 20, 2012 7:54 AM
quote:

Now, I am not out to change the world...

Go for it, man - if we each change just a little piece of it, together we can hit a pretty big chunk!

Chistopher Duncan
Author - The Career Programmer: Guerilla Tactics for an Imperfect World (Apress)
www.showprogramming.com/TheCareerProgrammer.asp

Chistopher Duncan

Author of
The Career Programmer (Apress)
www.PracticalUSA.com/TheCareerProgrammer.aspx
Unite the Tribes (Apress)
www.PracticalUSA.com/UniteTheTribes.aspx

Post #49585
Posted Tuesday, December 17, 2002 3:55 PM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

Last Login: Sunday, April 13, 2014 11:06 AM
If it was that easy, I'd of done it by now.......LMAO
Hey, I know, if we all band together..........

I just realized you are the one who wrote the article to start with (I can be slow sometimes...). Anyway, kudos on the article, and as I said up above, it is the most realistic view I've ever seen, I was impressed. I'll be watching for more.

Edited by - scorpion_66 on 12/17/2002 4:05:13 PM

Post #49586
Posted Tuesday, December 17, 2002 4:02 PM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

quote:

If it was that easy, I'd of done it by now.......LMAO
Hey, I know, if we all band together..........

And of course, we certainly don't mind your taking the point position.

Chistopher Duncan
Author - The Career Programmer: Guerilla Tactics for an Imperfect World (Apress)

Chistopher Duncan

Author of

Post #49587
Posted Tuesday, December 17, 2002 4:19 PM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500Mr or Mrs. 500

I'm far too outspoken to make a good leader. Besides that, isn't the point guy the one who takes the first bullet. (grin)

Post #49588
Posted Tuesday, December 17, 2002 4:29 PM

Grasshopper

quote:

Besides that, isn't the point guy the one who takes the first bullet. (grin)

Oh, my, really? (Stares innocently at the sky, whistles a nonchalant little tune...)

Chistopher Duncan

Chistopher Duncan

Author of

Post #49589
Posted Wednesday, December 18, 2002 2:13 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Saturday, April 19, 2014 3:49 PM
I wonder how those of you who became managers, how you became so?

Were you formally trained or did you come into the office one morning and realise that most of your colleagues were older than your album collection?

I suspect it is more the latter. Don't laugh, I have colleagues who were born AFTER the birth of CD's!

The problem is that, as a technical person you beaver away for a few years, get asked to guide less senior staff, become a lead developer, and final end up as a project manager or similar.

I have friends who are in the awful position of having gone down this path and found that their managerial duties mean that they have no time to maintain their technical skills. They end up in the position of becoming technically obsolete whilst not really having the qualities(?) for management.

They either have to learn the skills for management or get very good at the "Why did you leave your last position?" question.

The problem they face is that they can't go back. By the time you have walked the path you will probably have gained wife/kids/mortgage and need the managerial salary to support them. You can't say "Sod it, I'll work for the joy of the experience".

I don't know how it works in the USA but in Britain there is a horribly short sited attitude that demands a cheap temporary fix that lasts forever. This explains the British railway network.

The tendency is that managers do not get the training and back-up they need to do their jobs. No-one has grasped that a good manager is not born, he/she is created.

Natural talent will get you so far but its a long hard road to discover best practices from first principles.

What we need is for technical people who have become managers to be trained as managers. Get project management accreditation. Learn people skills. Read "How to win friends and influence people" and "I can see you naked". If your in a dark mood read any project management book by Edward Yourdon, "Death March" being a particular favourite.

One thing I have learnt is that, with very few exceptions, there are very few bright stars in the management world.

Remember, people get promoted to the level of their own incompetance, and we all know people who have excelled in this.

LinkedIn Profile
Newbie on www.simple-talk.com
Post #49590
Posted Wednesday, December 18, 2002 7:54 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:34 AM
Bill Gates has fronted Microsoft for 25 years.
Microsoft is on-and-off the most highly valued company in the world.
Bill Gates knows business.
Bill Gates is a techie.
Bill Gates listens to his techies.
Maybe he's onto something...

Edited by - jonreade on 12/18/2002 07:58:06 AM

Jon
Post #49591
Posted Wednesday, December 18, 2002 10:39 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

A very apt description, David, And follows what I see in the world very closely. Sums up exactly why I refuse management positions. I don't mind taking lead roles, but it would only take 6 months or so (maybe longer) to start forgetting all the gotcha's that need to be considered.

For your statement:
I don't know how it works in the USA but in Britain there is a horribly short sited attitude that demands a cheap temporary fix that lasts forever.

It's no different here. A temporary solution is put into place to get though, then as long as that's working, regardless the consequences, it's just left there until it becomes a critical situation again. After a few of these, nothing works right anymore, and the whole IT shop is scrambling to patch the patches and repair data errors created by the patch which was not designed to be permenant to start with, and they all say then that they don't have the time to look at anything else, and we have what I call an IT department of firefighters. What's really bad is when they start hiring more IT people, or buying more and upgraded hardware, to handle the ever increasing load of these, rather than just fix the thing. I used to think that eventually they would learn, but now I have decided that they have the learning capacity of a rock. Sometimes, I wonder if they handle things the same at home. Wait until the shelves are completely empty to go to the grocery store, wait until they run out of gas on the freeway to go to the gas station, wait until they are in the final statges of dying to get treated for a disease, wait until the divorce is final to make up with their spouse, etc....
Somehow I doubt it, but that brings up the question of why do they do it at work then? Is it because they are not personally affected? Have no accountability? I don't think I'll ever understand that mentality, as I'm strongly based in logic.

I have a document I wrote a while back that I use for situations such as these. It simply states, I, _______________, understand the consequences of this decision, and after being advised by my technical resource against it, have chosen to do it anyway, and take full responsibility. and then a signature line. When stupid things start occurring, I present the document to my manager, and request he sign it. I justify it to them with, I refuse to take responsibility for things beyond my control, and you just removed this from my control. Amazingly, its never been signed, but generates a huge amount of discussion on the current topic, and generally gets a new decision made.

Post #49592
Posted Wednesday, December 18, 2002 11:16 AM

Grasshopper

quote:

I, _______________, understand the consequences of this decision, and after being advised by my technical resource against it, have chosen to do it anyway, and take full responsibility...

Priceless!

Chistopher Duncan

Chistopher Duncan

Author of

Post #49593
Posted Wednesday, December 18, 2002 11:24 AM

Mr or Mrs. 500

Yea, but be careful. Makes em REAL mad. I just keep in mind that they didn't hire me to draw a check, they hired me to tell em the truth. Whether they like it or not. If they fire me over it (hasn't happened yet), then I didn't need to be working for em to start with. They can sit the janitor in my chair and he will be just as efficient. Just nod you head when they speak......LMAO

Post #49594
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««1234»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse