Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Taking Advantage of SQL Server Tools Expand / Collapse
Author

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Today @ 3:19 AM
I think that this extends to developers too. Maybe not all of the items on the the list but then again maybe so.

As for PowerShell, that's a me too. Hopefully, PowerShell will reduce the number of interfaces required to be learnt (although experience says that it will just add one to the list).

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Post #878613
Posted Monday, March 8, 2010 8:42 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, August 8, 2011 12:13 PM
Brad,

As always a hit on the nose. I find that these tools are very powerful especially when you need to debug something. Im not sure if it was intended to be included the the Management studio, but I would have broken out SSIS by it'self with all of the power it has to schedule and maintain the database.

Thanks again

Ken
Post #878669
Posted Monday, March 8, 2010 9:51 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, October 28, 2014 12:48 AM
I do agree that PowerShell should be on the list, and I would like to point out that SQL Server PowerShell (sqlps) should be on the list.
I tend to use sqlps before sqlcmd as I then can do more complex tasks in a much simpler way.

/Niels Grove-Rasmussen

/Niels Grove-Rasmussen
Post #878737
Posted Monday, March 8, 2010 10:21 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 2:41 PM
I don't know about DAC being on a list of tools to master. Agree with others about DTA not being on it... I've seen DTA (and the missing indexes dmv's) suggest new indexes, where adding a column to an existing index would handle the query... I think all they know is to add a new one.

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings
Post #878755
Posted Monday, March 8, 2010 11:13 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 2:10 PM
I think Perfmon is missing in the list; I find it a useful tool for watching, in particular, disk and network IO.

A packet sniffer of choice can also be very useful; not all issues manifest at the SQL Server level except as "It's slow!".

A big +1 on Profiler.
Post #878807
Posted Monday, March 8, 2010 9:29 PM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 2:32 AM
Never the least why to leave Batch file programming and little bit of vb scripting, I feel all dba's must have used batch file programming and vb script in some or the other way in automating things.
Post #879082
Posted Tuesday, March 9, 2010 12:19 AM
SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Friday, October 18, 2013 4:06 PM
should also add bcp.exe to the list.

---------------------------------------
elsasoft.org
Post #879155
Posted Tuesday, March 9, 2010 2:31 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, March 9, 2010 10:17 AM
Where once one used batch and vbscript I think now one should be using Powershell - certainly if one were defining "essential" tools one would have to strongly argue that the latter should replace the former.

The fact that MS are pretty "betting the house" on Powershell for system admin (e.g. the Exchange 2007 server manager generates Powershell scripts in much the same way the SSMS generates SQL scripts) pretty much underlines this - since being an SQL Server DBA pretty much necessitates having a chunk of Windows System Admin skills too.
Post #879197
Posted Tuesday, March 9, 2010 10:17 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 9:52 AM
I think another tool is the system views,tables and functions. The DMVs in 2005 and beyond can prove quite useful and can provide similar information to PerfMon.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #879533
Posted Monday, March 22, 2010 4:05 AM
Valued Member

Valued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued MemberValued Member

Last Login: Friday, August 15, 2014 7:42 AM
For a combined SQL developer and DBA there's one tool (outside of the package supplied with SQL Server itself) that does everything I have found I need and that is SQL Management Studio by EMS. The software is wicked. Compare and synchronise data structures between dbs, compare and synchronise data, import, export, manage indices, backups etc. etc.
It's worth every penny and I now rarely use SQL Server tools themselves. BIDS is a different matter of course - it's essential for SSIS and SSRS.
Post #887249
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse