Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

SQL Server 2008 Express Edition Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:26 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Friday, March 12, 2010 2:20 AM
Hi
I have SQL Server 2008 Express Edition installed on my laptop running Vista Home edition. I cannot seem to connect to an instance in the SSMS 'Connect to Server' dialog - the options in the Server name drop-down only give (local) with no mention of a SQL Server instance! I tried connecting to local but It won't let me in under Windows authentication and doesn't let me change my login either. I cannot get in under SQL authentication either because I don't know the login details! It all works fine under Visual Studio 2008 Express for my web sites so I don't want to reinstall it - are there any ways around this as I need to restore a DB and work on it in SSMS??
Post #872726
Posted Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:27 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
Is your login a local administrator?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #872728
Posted Thursday, February 25, 2010 8:03 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Wednesday, June 11, 2014 5:42 PM
You can use the DAC if you are a local administrator to connect and reset things

http://blogs.msdn.com/sqlexpress/archive/2005/09/08/462609.aspx

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #872768
Posted Friday, February 26, 2010 3:26 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Friday, March 12, 2010 2:20 AM
Thanks - that is an interesting link. I have resolved my problem with simply typing in MY-PC-NAME\SQLEXPRESS in the connection dialog instead of expecting it to be in the drop-down - doh!
Post #873299
Posted Friday, February 26, 2010 7:00 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
That'll make a difference!

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #873398
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse