Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Multiple Mirrors Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:26 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:34 PM
Two issues with snapshots - They require Enterprise Edition and you still have the connection issues. If I build a snapshot every 10 minutes and I have a report that runs for 15, either people have to know the name is changing constantly, or they would lose their connections.

Snapshots are a good try, but they're not there either.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #871127
Posted Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:39 PM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Saturday, October 18, 2014 9:34 AM
It sounds nice, but you have to take into account the other benefits that mirroring gives you - automatic failover primarily. How would you handle the conversations between multiple mirrors and the witness to ensure that each database is in the correct state? It's already somewhat complicated to determine what will happen to each database if connections drop, that complexity would grow exponentially given more servers.

If you are talking asynchronous mirroring then perhaps those issues go away - is there really that much benefit over replication or log shipping though?
Post #871400
Posted Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:25 PM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 8:18 PM
The ability to have multiple mirrors, or a waterfall mirror setup would be great. I think you stated it accurately that the setup becomes much more complicated to support this kind of setup. It would be a great technology though.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #871632
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse