Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««123»»

SSRS timeout Expand / Collapse
Author
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, July 21, 2014 2:56 AM
Me too... went wrong and lost the point

The term used in question is SSRS which is not used for the SQL Server 2000 and the reference is given for the version SQL Server 2000.

It would be good to have specific version.

---------------------------------------------------
"Thare are only 10 types of people in the world:
Those who understand binary, and those who don't."
Post #865473
Posted Monday, February 15, 2010 7:23 AM
SSCrazy

Last Login: Monday, July 14, 2014 9:47 AM
I have a definite problem with this QOD. WHICH VERSION? When the version is missing, I assume that the question is referencing the most current version and not the one that is on extended support. The link provided is for SS2000. I believe that if the question was answered correctly for either of these versions, then the points should be given and the question marked as correct. The QOD SHOULD include the version that the question is about. Not having the version CAN cause the wrong answer, and thus the arguments seen lately.

Having "assumed" SS2008, I answered 0. For 2005 and 2000, the answer is leave it empty. (See below)

SQL Server 2000
Timeout
Type the number of seconds until the query times out. The default is 30 seconds. The value for Timeout must be empty or greater than zero. If it is empty, the query does not time out.

SQL Server 2005
Timeout
Type the number of seconds that the report server waits for a response from the database. The default value is 30 seconds. Timeout must contain a value greater than zero or be left empty. If it is empty, the query does not time out.

SQL Server 2008
Timeout
In Timeout, type the number of seconds that the report server waits for a response from the database. The default value is 0 seconds. When the time out value is 0 seconds, the query does not time out.

Steve Jimmo
Sr DBA
“If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
Post #865524
Posted Monday, February 15, 2010 7:35 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:24 AM
The question has had the version added.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #865534
Posted Monday, February 15, 2010 8:09 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:51 PM
As Scooby would say, "Ruh rhow!" - there seems to be a conflict in the documentation. Timeout Element (SQL 2000) states:
The value for the Timeout element must be between 0 and 2147483647. If the value is omitted or is 0, the query does not time out.

Anyone have 2000 installed that can see what really happens?

Thanks,
Chad
Post #865548
Posted Monday, February 15, 2010 8:59 AM
SSCommitted

SSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommittedSSCommitted

Last Login: Thursday, July 10, 2014 12:49 PM
As far as the SqlCommand is concerned, there is only one way to set the timeout such that report does not time out - set it to zero. In other words, even though documentation for SQL Server 2005 states to leave it blank, what happens under the hood is that CommandTimeout property, which "gets or sets the wait time in seconds before terminating the attempt to execute a command and generating an error", ends up with the value equal to zero. It has always been like this, even in old ADODB. Too bad that Microsoft changed the usual way of instructing queries not to timeout from the traditional set it to zero to leave it blank in SQL Server 2000/2005 (which will under the hood set it to zero for you).

With version added, this happens to be a very good question. I missed it because CommandTimeout = 0 seems to be the only way to do it correctly. As a matter of fact, if you use the code to programmatically set the CommandTimeout then there is no GUI to do it for you and you do indeed have to type [yourCommandInstance].CommandTimeout = 0, because in the code it will not accept the value of blank and if you don't explicitly set it then it will get its respective default value, which happens to be 30 seconds. This is still true in any version.

Oleg

Post #865572
Posted Monday, February 15, 2010 10:33 AM

SSCrazy

Last Login: Thursday, July 24, 2014 2:51 PM
Ahhh.... that might explain what looked like a contradiction. Maybe it is the GUI that accepts blank/zero but the XML underneath is always zero. That would make sense. Thanks!

Chad
Post #865617
Posted Monday, February 15, 2010 10:37 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:09 PM
Chad Crawford (2/15/2010)
Ahhh.... that might explain what looked like a contradiction. Maybe it is the GUI that accepts blank/zero but the XML underneath is always zero. That would make sense. Thanks!

Chad

Then at the very least, there should have been two possible correct answers. Either of the two answers blank or 0 should have been viable.

(just spurning on the debate)

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #865621
Posted Monday, February 15, 2010 2:06 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Thursday, July 17, 2014 10:56 AM
What a fluke. I got right. I thought it should be 0 but SSC would not post a simple question with 2 points. Apart from 0 only leave it blank looked a logical answer. What ever.

Discussion was good than the question.

SQL DBA.
Post #865712
Posted Monday, February 15, 2010 4:58 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:09 PM
I find it interesting that the question has only been answered correctly 10% of the time. And 70% of the people missing the question all missed it selecting the same answer.

Thanks for the question at any rate. I will go back to the darkness now

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #865788
Posted Monday, February 15, 2010 6:14 PM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 5:36 AM
Jason

And Steve was off today on a ski trip ... but he did manage to add to the question "SQL Server 2000". but said nothing about awarding points to thos who answered correctly, but incorrectly to the original question.

Shall I cry

I want my point awarded

as I said before "Oh well"

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
Post #865802
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««123»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse