Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

DBCC Timewarp Expand / Collapse
Author

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 7:45 AM
Few people are aware of DBCC TIMEWARP, which despite being undocumented remains one of the better utilities to recover data which has not been not been backed up prior to being corrupted.

Even less well known are the 137 optional and undocumented parameters necessary to use DBCC Timewarp correctly.

This forum will serve as an information exchange for people with serious interest in this important topic.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
Stop, children, what's that sound? -- Stephen Stills
Post #860953
Posted Friday, February 05, 2010 7:51 PM
SSCarpal Tunnel

SSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal TunnelSSCarpal Tunnel

Last Login: 2 days ago @ 11:17 AM
Dixie - those parameters are not optional, the 137 parameters are required parameters - and from what I recall the next 255 are optional parameters that can be used to modify how the 137 required parameters are interpreted.

But, that was last year (or is that next year?) - there may be a whole lot more this year, or maybe they added them last decade? I always get confused when things happen

Jeffrey Williams
Problems are opportunites brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
Managing Transaction Logs
Post #860970
Posted Friday, February 05, 2010 8:15 PM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Last Login: Today @ 7:25 AM
Actually, if you can restore the next hour's worth of backups now, you can get away with as few as 42 of the parameters.

--Jeff Moden
"RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for "Row-By-Agonizing-Row".

First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column."

"Change is inevitable. Change for the better is not." -- 04 August 2013
(play on words) "Just because you CAN do something in T-SQL, doesn't mean you SHOULDN'T." --22 Aug 2013

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Post #860977
Posted Friday, February 05, 2010 8:34 PM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 7:45 AM
Jeff, is that new in 2008, or would it work for 2005 as well?

If memory serves, parameter one is PI to 8k decimal places.

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
Stop, children, what's that sound? -- Stephen Stills
Post #860980
Posted Friday, February 05, 2010 10:59 PM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 8:28 AM
It's new in 2008 R2D2.

Until you upgrade to that version, you must provide the minimum of 137 parameters. It is also highly recommended to use some of the 255 optional parameters to ensure correct data is restored.

In R2D2, you are also permitted to restore from a planned future backup if you provide the correct parameters in an undocumented order. One catch though is that your server must be a DELL and you must type at 88 words per minute.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #861007
Posted Saturday, February 06, 2010 2:07 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Yesterday @ 12:20 PM
The Dixie Flatline (2/5/2010)
Even less well known are the 137 optional and undocumented parameters necessary to use DBCC Timewarp correctly.

One thing to note is that you should be especially careful in setting the parameters that dictate the origin and designation's spacetime co-ordinates (7-14) and the vector of motion between the two (100-120). Get them wrong and it could result in a disruption of the spacetime continuum.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #861040
Posted Saturday, February 06, 2010 2:44 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 8:29 AM
GilaMonster (2/6/2010)

One thing to note is that you should be especially careful in setting the parameters that dictate the origin and designation's spacetime co-ordinates (7-14) and the vector of motion between the two (100-120). Get them wrong and it could result in a disruption of the spacetime continuum.

As long as the origin spacetime co-ordinates is correct and the designation's co-ordinates are valid and correspond to the vector of motion it still will work.
The bad part of it: the backup will be restored to the designated server which may differ from the server desired if the space part does not match the one of designation.

The biggest advantage I see when using the addtl. parameter (IIRC 11,13,17, and 19) is to use DBCC Timewarp for fast transfer of a database to a different server, especially helpful for large systems (>1TB).

Lutz
A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question
How to post performance related questions
Links for Tally Table , Cross Tabs and Dynamic Cross Tabs , Delimited Split Function
Post #861046
Posted Saturday, February 06, 2010 4:24 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:20 PM
Lutz, microsoft don't recommend it but with careful use of the additional parameters you mention plus 101 - 110 to recover corruption in system databases DBCC timewarp can be used to seamlessly move an entire instance to a new server.

I've never been able to get it to work for VMs though, I don't think their spacetime coordinates are stable enough.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #861064
Posted Saturday, February 06, 2010 4:42 AM

SSC-Insane

SSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-InsaneSSC-Insane

Last Login: Today @ 8:28 AM
I typically use 13 and 111 in order to perform transcontinental 1TB database transfers to SQL Server VMs.

I am still working on integrating flag 138 to properly initialize the database on an Oracle server via a Toaster USB connection. I understand it should work with a neural network synapse and psychic transponder - but the synchronization is slightly out of phase.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden
Hidden RBAR - Jeff Moden
VLFs and the Tran Log - Kimberly Tripp
Post #861069
Posted Saturday, February 06, 2010 4:58 AM
SSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 2:20 PM
Thanks Jason, I'll give parm 111 a try.

thats why I love SSC, you can always learn something new and useful.

BTW, if copying to Oracle, you need -T666 in the startup parameters.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #861071
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12345»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse