Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Restore/DB Owner Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, February 4, 2010 4:52 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Tuesday, April 6, 2010 6:23 PM
I do a LOT of backup/restore, moving DB's between different computers. Usually after I do a Restore the DB Owner on the restored DB is blank, and I have to assign it in order to run the application. Every once in a while the DB owner after the Restore operation is already assigned ... and the app won't run. When I try the Restore operation again (making sure that Overwrite is selected) same behavior.

What's going wrong with the Restore operation in these isolated cases? Thx in advance ....
Post #860045
Posted Friday, February 5, 2010 6:41 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:26 AM
the restore would assign as owner whoever ran the restore command.

If that is not what you want use sp_changedbowner to set it after the restore completes

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #860398
Posted Friday, February 5, 2010 7:03 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Tuesday, April 6, 2010 6:23 PM
Usually when I restore and check the DB Owner it's blank, not the ID of the user who performed the Restore. The problem occurs when I check the properties of the restored DB and it's NOT blank ... I'm not sure why that is ...
Post #860417
Posted Friday, February 5, 2010 7:06 AM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 10:26 AM
probably blank because SQL cannot resolve ID of whoever ran restore, either way sp_changedbowner should fix it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #860419
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse