Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Too Good to be True? The Story Behind SQL Search Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Wednesday, February 03, 2010 8:39 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 4:04 PM
If they have a tool that can search my entire 65,000+ table PeopleSoft database in mere seconds I want to see that.

Seriously, how can their product be faster than a well written TSQL query? Have you used it yourself and if so, can you describe how you compared the two methods?
Post #858752
Posted Wednesday, February 03, 2010 8:45 AM

Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:53 AM
Of all the free search tools that have been provided to me today, SQL Search is by far the best.

I do want to thank Redgate for the freebies that they provide, both tools and books. Since the budget for such things that is given to me annually is, well, limited, these freebies help stretch my budget.

Scott
Post #858760
Posted Wednesday, February 03, 2010 8:58 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 9:05 AM
Andy,
Yes we are considering how to make the most of this approach.
It might be a really great way to prototype and explore interesting ideas. Our next step is to give all of our technical staff a week to work on whatever they like at the end of March. They are already discussing ideas and forming teams - it's giving us all a buzz.
Simon

Post #858779
Posted Wednesday, February 03, 2010 9:00 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, November 25, 2013 12:01 PM
Obviously a database with 65,000+ tables is going to take longer than a few seconds... I don't work typically work with databases that large. Most of my work is integrating e-commerce websites & accounting software integrations, in which case both applications typically have 50-100 tables and a similar number of stored procedures and views.

For these small to medium-sized applications, I'm willing to sacrifice the negligible loss in performance for the rich UI & ability to quickly see relevant information for each item in the results. Everyone works different & given the way I work, this tool is of great value to me. I find that it boosts my productivity and since I bill hourly, that directly translates into more $!

Ultimately, this is a productivity tool designed to plugin to the another productivity tool; SQL Server Management Studio. If I had to use scripts for all of the things I do in Management Studio, I would probably have another profession...

Out of curiosity, what would impress you in a SQL application that couldn't be done by simply running scripts? Correct me if I'm wrong, but everything in SQL is actually a script running in the background....
Post #858781
Posted Wednesday, February 03, 2010 9:11 AM
SSC Veteran

SSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC VeteranSSC Veteran

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 4:04 PM
Personally, I use scripting as often as possible, for several reasons. One is that it gives me total control over the process and two, I do it so I know what is going on "under the hood".

Dashboards impress me. Give me tools that can reveal a lot of interconnected information about performance. That's the kind of tool that I can do with scripts but is harder to implement.

A simple search tool doesn't do it for me. If a tool has a single function I can usually do it quicker with a script.
Post #858795
Posted Wednesday, February 03, 2010 9:28 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, November 25, 2013 12:01 PM
chrism-787002 (2/3/2010)
... Dashboards impress me. Give me tools that can reveal a lot of interconnected information about performance. That's the kind of tool that I can do with scripts but is harder to implement. ...

I think SQL Server 2010 (or maybe it was 2008 R2) is going to support something like that, but with the ability to monitor multiple servers simultaneously.

I would imagine that you could build a pretty cool report/dashboard with SSRS to give you what you're looking for. Something to monitor an entire network on a single dashboard with the ability to drilldown into stats for each server. That would be pretty cool! Especially if it could send alerts & respond proactively based upon customizable rules. Similar to a maintenance plan, only with a simpler interface to manage multiple SQL Servers across the network. That would probably need to be done with a dedicated tool though.
Post #858807
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse