Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

Connecting With Perl Using Win32 : ODBC Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 1:25 AM

Great article, very comprehensive.

However I have found there are memory leaks with the Win32:DBC module.

After spending a great deal of time trying checking my code for objects/variables not destoyed in subs I ended up using Perl DBI.

I have found this very useful and would recommend others trying this module to see which they prefer.

Post #298293
Posted Tuesday, August 1, 2006 4:54 PM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Monday, September 9, 2013 8:32 AM

Perl is very much for the administrator and developer and not for the end user.  It has a prominent place in the toolbox, but it's not for end users.

My one criticism of the article is, as with most SQL Server script examples, it has a password hard coded in, in plain text.  No wonder the young folk all think that's perfectly acceptable!   DBAs kill themselves setting up least privelege and "useless by default", and then here are these plain text passwords in the code - or worse, on the command line!

Aside from that, let me mention DBI:Sybase (and perhaps, Sybperl). 

If you are connecting from a non-Windows box, the Win32 module won't do you a bit of good.  Or, if you come from a database background instead of a Windows background, you might be more comfortable with db-lib than ODBC.  In that case, the DBI:Sybase modules are the way to go.

The trick is to compile with the FreeTDS libraries instead of the Microsoft or the Sybase libraries, and you can talk to anything that uses a TDS stream from a single binary.

Roger Reid

Roger L Reid
Post #298818
Posted Tuesday, August 1, 2006 10:16 PM

Keeper of the Duck

Keeper of the Duck

Group: Moderators
Last Login: 2 days ago @ 8:57 AM
Keep in mind, though, that in writing articles, you focus on the technology that the article is primarily about. While I agree with you about securing the connection string, the truth of it is that with respect to this article it's a rabbit trail. Explaining why it's an issue and various ways to secure the connection string would double the length of the present article, if not more. In the mean time, the focus on using Perl to connect to SQL Server is lost.

K. Brian Kelley, CISA, MCSE, Security+, MVP - SQL Server
Regular Columnist (Security), SQLServerCentral.com
Author of Introduction to SQL Server: Basic Skills for Any SQL Server User
| Professional Development blog | Technical Blog | LinkedIn | Twitter
Post #298840
Posted Thursday, August 3, 2006 11:24 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: Monday, March 22, 2010 3:02 PM
Brian,

Thanks for article. I am a complete Perl newbie and was able to take the samples and article content and successfully query data from my legacy ERP system in about 10 minutes. Thanks very much. Looking forward to your upcoming articles.

Josh Blair
Post #299437
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse