Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Moving PASS Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, January 16, 2010 11:58 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 3:03 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Moving PASS

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #848769
Posted Monday, January 18, 2010 12:09 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 6:05 PM
It's really nice in Brisbane at this time of year.
Post #848984
Posted Monday, January 18, 2010 2:01 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 2:01 PM
Dubai's good too.

Location doesn't concern me all that much, just as long as the host city as reasonably good public transport.

I'm not sure about the splitting up. At the moment, the PASS US Summit can be called 'The biggest SQL Server conference'. If it gets divided into 2 or 3 smaller regional conferences, I worry that the value of those conferences will be reduced. Most people will only be able to make one of the smaller conferences.

This is why I travel to the US conference rather than the European, even though the European conference is closer and cheaper.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #849014
Posted Monday, January 18, 2010 4:04 AM

Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, December 2, 2010 8:45 AM
I'm not concerned with skiing or great bars. I want content and substance for my money.
Post #849063
Posted Monday, January 18, 2010 6:51 AM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, April 10, 2014 6:27 AM
What about an East Coast and a West Coast PASS Conference, I don’t know about the West Coast, but Gatlinburg, Tennessee would be idea place on the East Coast. Centrally located, prefect tourist trap (Yes, Skiing too.) with large conference center. At least that’s my two cents on the topic.
Post #849128
Posted Monday, January 18, 2010 7:05 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 12:38 PM
Being in the U.S. Great Lakes region, I know it would be easier to justify a trip to Minneapolis, Chicago, or Detroit. Chicago has great jazz and blues clubs.
Post #849134
Posted Monday, January 18, 2010 9:10 AM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Today @ 8:41 AM
I agree with Steve that having all the microsoft people sounds great, but I never took advantage of them being there. I am from the west so I like having it in Seattle. But I would really like it in San Diego, mostly for the nice weather. Having it a couple of months earlier in the year would be nice also.
Post #849229
Posted Monday, January 18, 2010 10:29 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Saturday, March 8, 2014 2:30 AM
From our company they only send one a year. There were some really great pre-seminar things during the day, but because of cost, they wouldn't send our SQL DBA to it. It's a must for us, but sometimes companies look at it cost-prohibitive.

What about the idea of having it twice a year, once in spring once in the fall. once on the East Coast for all of us out here (so we can attend all days... which would make us exstatic!) and one on the West Coast.

Post #849281
Posted Monday, January 18, 2010 10:36 AM
Right there with Babe

Right there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with BabeRight there with Babe

Last Login: Wednesday, October 8, 2014 9:11 AM
I agree that having the MS people there sounds nice. I, also didn't use them. We are a tiny shop, and things just don't come up that I need to talk to an MS insider to resolve. Now if the MS Office people were there too, then I would slap them around a bit .

On the other hand, I live in Oregon, so Seattle is an easy drive, and I have family there, so I try to stay over the weekend as well. Moving it to some other place? I doubt my company would pay for airfare. It's much easier to sell 'local' event these days, then distance ones.

DG
Post #849284
Posted Monday, January 18, 2010 10:50 AM

SSCoach

SSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoachSSCoach

Last Login: Today @ 6:03 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing it move around. There are plenty of locations throughout the US that seem like viable options (Orlando, Las Vegas, Denver, Chicago, Dallas).

Splitting up into multiple conferences would only be worthwhile if the same amount of content could be delivered to each of the conferences as they currently do in the single conference.

Having a smaller MS presence may not be such a bad thing. When I attended PASS last, I did take advantage of the resources that MS provided. That happened largely due to standing room only sessions - so I found something equally productive to go do.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw
Post #849286
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse