Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 12»»

Goal Tuesday Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Tuesday, January 12, 2010 12:02 AM

SSC-Dedicated

SSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-DedicatedSSC-Dedicated

Group: Administrators
Last Login: Today @ 4:29 PM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Goal Tuesday

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Post #845887
Posted Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:43 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Monday, January 06, 2014 8:23 PM
Steve - you only listed 6 continents. You missed Australia. If you can endure the plane flight I am sure that the SQL Server community here will welcome you with open arms.

Post #845958
Posted Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:06 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Monday, April 14, 2014 2:23 AM
I really enjoy your editorials Steve, and I have the greatest respect for your abilities and experience but...

Perhaps I got out of the wrong side of the bed this morning, but to my mind phrases such as "Instead I'd like you to create a list..." make you sound a bit too much like a manager

Just a thought
Post #846034
Posted Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:34 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, October 31, 2013 3:11 AM
I have one fairly large goal for 2010, I may need to break it down into bitesized pieces.

<Rant removed>
I'd love to find a good small - medium sized company, where I can talk to the people who actually use the data or the reports.
Post #846050
Posted Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:44 AM
SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

From experience in a very similar position, I took the people who should be using the data down the pub (sorry, I'm English!) and discussed their jobs, targets, difficulties and so on, went back and found the answers to one or two of their problems using the database/reports, then took them down the pub again to show them the results. It worked well for one of them and they were star player for quite a while until they were head-hunted. It was good to see them and the company benefitting from my work, and they were only too pleased to give me some of the credit. It didn't work for the others... perhaps they didn't understand, or were happy with things as they were, or I didn't do my job properly. I suppose it depends how Dilbert-esque the people and the organisation are.
Post #846054
Posted Tuesday, January 12, 2010 5:49 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

I'm english too, and would love to be able to take them down to the pub.
Unfortunately it's used by too many people (literally thousands) and they're spread across the UK.

I'd like to spend some time working on protecting data (backups, replication, clusters etc) so that I have more to take to a smaller company.
Post #846058
Posted Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:12 AM
SSC Eights!

Yes, I much prefer working for a smaller company, or at least a small, reasonably autonomous part of a big one, and I've been lucky enough to do so for ages now. Not a good time to move at the mo I suppose, but working keeping a lookout. I saw a £50-60k DBA/dev job in London on Jobsite the other day...
Post #846071
Posted Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:15 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

Things are picking up slowly then!
I'm in Dewsbury (working in Leeds) with a wife and 2 kids, so relocating is def not on my goal list :-\
Post #846072
Posted Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:30 AM
SSC Rookie

SSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC RookieSSC Rookie

Last Login: Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:11 AM
I've never done a list before, but I thought I'd briefly list a few career goals for 2010...
1. Learn Python (new company standard)
2. Finally finish the SQL Server 2005 upgrade
3. Learn SQL Server 2008
4. Plan for the SQL Server 2008 upgrade
5. Learn Oracle 11g (we are already in the middle of this upgrade)
6. Upgrade my Oracle certification to 11g

I think that should be enough for a year in which I would like to get pregnant again. That open up a whole other can of worms.
Post #846080
Posted Tuesday, January 12, 2010 6:33 AM
SSC-Enthusiastic

He he; Number 7 - learn to type whilst breastfeeding!
Your list is really good, good luck on the baby front.
Post #846084
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 12»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse