Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase

Maintenance Plan Expand / Collapse
Author
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 8:52 AM
How do you use the Maintenance Plan for a backup to another server. I would like to have all my database backups to not be on the SQL server but on a Backup server.
Post #842398
Posted Tuesday, January 5, 2010 2:41 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 3:44 PM
use an execute SQL task to run a backup command pointing to the UNC path of the share on the backup server.

else use the maintenance plan backup task in the normal way and then have a separate process to copy the backups to the backup server. Personally for speed of recovery I like to have the most recent backups on the SQL server.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #842435
Posted Tuesday, January 5, 2010 2:47 PM
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Thursday, June 16, 2011 6:57 AM
When box with SQL server dies,your backups will die. In ssms press f1 and in help window look for BACKUP DATABASE statement.

Ideally I would have production server and its backups on 2 SANs and copy of the backup on some old pc or cheap NAS + the good old tapes ofcourse.
Post #842439
Posted Tuesday, January 5, 2010 2:59 PM
SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Today @ 3:44 PM
[quote]c00ler01 (1/5/2010)
When box with SQL server dies,your backups will die. [quote]

thats why we have DR processes in place. Separate Issue.

thats another reason not to write all your backups to one server, its a SPOF. A backup of the backup server will be required.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Post #842448
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase

Permissions Expand / Collapse