Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Be Prepared Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Saturday, January 2, 2010 11:54 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Yesterday @ 6:53 AM
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Be Prepared

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #841180
Posted Monday, January 4, 2010 2:46 AM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Sunday, May 4, 2014 7:48 PM
Why should something as routine as backup not be done automatically by computers? Why depend on people to do the backup?
Post #841344
Posted Monday, January 4, 2010 3:46 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

People have to set up the backup, monitor it and fix it when it goes wrong. The actual execution should be scheduled and automated, you're right. But far too many people aren't doing it.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
and

Post #841360
Posted Monday, January 4, 2010 8:01 AM

SSChampion

Last Login: Friday, June 27, 2014 12:43 PM
umailedit (1/4/2010)
Why should something as routine as backup not be done automatically by computers? Why depend on people to do the backup?

I don't depend on people to do the backups, but people need to make the decisions about what to back up and when and where.

No computer can possibly figure out how much data loss you or your company can afford to deal with.

No computer can decided whether backups should be to a local drive or a network share, nor what to do with them once they are backed up.

And so on.

Yes, the computer can do the day-to-day or hour-to-hour work, but first you have to tell it what it's supposed to do. They have no initiative, no judgement.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon
Post #841489
Posted Monday, January 4, 2010 8:16 AM

SSChampion

umailedit (1/4/2010)

Speak of Murphy and he will appear. Right here is a good example. No backups. Corrupt file. Just the same as flat tire, no spare.

The Scary DBA
and

Post #841505
Posted Monday, January 4, 2010 8:43 AM

SSC-Forever

SSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-ForeverSSC-Forever

Last Login: Today @ 8:19 AM
But why would you need a backup? I mean, it's not as if a disk will fail, or someone drops a table (or the entire database) or the data file gets corrupted or an adimn deletes the mdf accidentally or data modifed yesterday needs to be undone or ... </sarcasm>

I'm almost tired of asking people if they have backups in the 'my database is corrupt'/'I need to recover deleted <something>' forum posts. The answer 99% of the time is no. The best I ever got from someone was "I didn't know I had to take backups"

And don't get me started on the 'took a backup but never tested it and now it won't restore' situation

<sigh>

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008, MVP
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Post #841529
Posted Monday, January 4, 2010 8:54 AM

SSChampion

GilaMonster (1/4/2010)
But why would you need a backup? I mean, it's not as if a disk will fail, or someone drops a table (or the entire database) or the data file gets corrupted or an adimn deletes the mdf accidentally or data modifed yesterday needs to be undone or ... </sarcasm>

I'm almost tired of asking people if they have backups in the 'my database is corrupt'/'I need to recover deleted <something>' forum posts. The answer 99% of the time is no. The best I ever got from someone was "I didn't know I had to take backups"

And don't get me started on the 'took a backup but never tested it and now it won't restore' situation

<sigh>

I wish I could argue or disagree on any point, but I can't.

The Scary DBA
and

Post #841545
Posted Monday, January 4, 2010 10:36 AM

SSC Eights!

SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!SSC Eights!

Last Login: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 7:13 AM
Some people's idea of a backup is having their resume up-to-date and access to a copier.
Post #841594
Posted Monday, January 4, 2010 10:46 AM

SSChampion

Julie Breutzmann (1/4/2010)
Some people's idea of a backup is having their resume up-to-date and access to a copier.

Oh, that's a backup. I thought it was disaster recovery.

The Scary DBA
and

Post #841600
Posted Monday, January 4, 2010 2:12 PM
Old Hand

Old HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld HandOld Hand

Last Login: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 8:10 AM

Speak of Murphy and he will appear. Right here is a good example. No backups. Corrupt file. Just the same as flat tire, no spare.

This is something of a sad story. Hope it works out.

I've read a lot where the final step in a backup process is to ensure you can actually restore the backup . We update our hardware frequently enough such that we do side by side updates (sometimes upgrading the SQL version too) where we restore last night's backups onto our new servers. Proof positive

Ken
Post #841720
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse