Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase ««12

SQL Server Express 2005 on Windows 7 64-bit Expand / Collapse
Author
Posted Thursday, December 31, 2009 9:34 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Thursday, May 06, 2010 11:05 PM
That's useful to know, since I would like, eventually, to upgrade the site to DNN 5.X. I'll obviously have to upgrade the database then. I'm still torn whether to go with SQL 2008 or 2005 (using the x86 binaries) on my 64-bit laptop...

I don't have access on the ISP site that would allow me to do your upgrade compatibility-backup-restore sequence - the ISP staff do the backups for me (their rule) and I suspect they'd also have to do the restores.

This has all been VERY helpful and informative, and I thank you for taking the time to work through it with me! Happy New Year!

hedera
======
Nature bats last.
Post #841023
Posted Thursday, December 31, 2009 9:59 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 11:02 AM
You could take the backup restore it locally and do the compatibility change and backup and give the new backup to the ISP to restore. I am assuming you know the restore process take the .bak and put it in the Backup subfolder in Microsoft SQL Server in programs then go to Management Studio and right click and go to all tasks and restore choose from device and navigate to the folder with your .bak and restore.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
Post #841029
Posted Saturday, January 02, 2010 9:08 PM
Grasshopper

GrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopperGrasshopper

Last Login: Thursday, May 06, 2010 11:05 PM
My database is now at compatibility level 90; I asked the ISP tech support if they could upgrade it and they did so. Apparently all I have to do is ask. They won't be ready to roll out SQL Server 2008 for awhile so 90 is as far as we go now.

I'm thinking seriously of upgrading my test site to SQL Server 2008, now that my database is at compatibility level 90. Since I would never under any circumstances try to rebuild the production site from a backup of the test database (I'd do it from the ISP's nightly backups), I don't think the inability to restore to 2005 from 2008 would be an issue.

hedera
======
Nature bats last.
Post #841213
Posted Saturday, January 02, 2010 9:56 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Today @ 11:02 AM
If your ISP is in SQL Server 2005 then you need to use the x86 binaries for x64 in the link I posted earlier. I don't see any issues.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
Post #841215
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase ««12

Permissions Expand / Collapse