Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Red Gate Software Ltd.

Home       Members    Calendar    Who's On

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Cloud Computing - No need to have a DBA ? Expand / Collapse
Author
SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Group: General Forum Members
Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:42 AM
Cloud Computing - No need to have a DBA ?
How do you think ?
Post #839352
Posted Monday, December 28, 2009 8:47 AM

SSChampion

SSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampionSSChampion

Last Login: Yesterday @ 4:03 PM
Yep, no need for a dba.

Need fewer developers too since you can use objects already developed in the cloud.

It's the end of IT!

----------------------------------------------------
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." Theodore Roosevelt
The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server 2012 Query Performance Tuning
SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled
and
SQL Server Execution Plans

Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
Post #839452
Posted Tuesday, December 29, 2009 10:43 AM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Friday, November 22, 2013 11:05 AM
ROTF LMAO

Regards
Rudy Komacsar
Senior Database Administrator

"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."
Post #839946
Posted Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:12 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Friday, April 18, 2014 6:27 AM
cfr "don't need to understand code in a object oniented programming language, just use it"

You'll still need to desing your objects, but in the cloud, you shouldn't need to worry about backup/recovery, failover, ...

Keep in mind : a could starts with fog !

You need to demystify your fog curtain.

Johan

Don't drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
but keeping both feet on the ground won't get you anywhere

- How to post Performance Problems
- How to post data/code to get the best help

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt ?

"press F1 for solution", "press shift+F1 for urgent solution"

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me
Post #839975
Posted Tuesday, December 29, 2009 11:50 AM

SSCertifiable

SSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiableSSCertifiable

Last Login: Yesterday @ 9:11 PM
ALZDBA (12/29/2009)
cfr "don't need to understand code in a object oniented programming language, just use it"

You'll still need to desing your objects, but in the cloud, you shouldn't need to worry about backup/recovery, failover, ...

Keep in mind : a could starts with fog !

You need to demystify your fog curtain.

or - make sure you clean your beer goggles....:) Sometimes the lack of clarity is simply localized right round you.....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?
Post #839995
Posted Tuesday, December 29, 2009 12:15 PM
Hall of Fame

Hall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of FameHall of Fame

Last Login: Sunday, April 13, 2014 12:23 PM
onlo (12/28/2009)
Cloud Computing - No need to have a DBA ?
How do you think ?

When the Cloud scale to one terabyte in two months for required RDBMS uses like HR and other normal internal uses. In the interim it is hype with limited implementation for most Fortune 1000 companies.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
Post #840004
Posted Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:13 AM

SSC-Enthusiastic

SSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-EnthusiasticSSC-Enthusiastic

Last Login: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:12 AM
Using SQL Azure, DBAs still need to manage schema creation, statistics management, index tuning, query optimization, and security administration (logins, users, roles, etc.).

Database administration in SQL Azure differs most from SQL Server in terms of physical administration. SQL Azure automatically replicates all data to provide high availability. SQL Azure also manages load balancing and, in case of a server failure, transparent fail-over to a healthy machine hosting one of the backup copies of your database.

To provide this level of physical administration, you cannot control the physical resources of SQL Azure. For example, you cannot specify the physical hard drive or file group where a database or index will reside. Because the computer file system is not accessible and all data is automatically replicated. The SQL Azure service still backs up all databases; however they are not accessible to regular users.

-------------------------------------------
I'm not afraid of storms, for I'm learning to sail my ship
Post #1106689
Posted Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:11 AM

SSC-Addicted

SSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-AddictedSSC-Addicted

Last Login: Monday, July 18, 2011 3:54 AM
Still need of DBAs for a company which one offering Cloud Services but All organization will not adopt because there is a problem of data security and privacy,some restriction also there like speedy internet required for the transactions

Regards,
Syed Jahanzaib Bin Hassan
BSCS | MCTS | MCITP | OCA | OCP | OCE | SCJP | IBMCDBA

My Blog
www.aureus-salah.com
Post #1106738
Posted Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:35 PM

UDP Broadcaster

UDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP BroadcasterUDP Broadcaster

Last Login: Yesterday @ 7:35 AM
No worries. The day that database administrators and developers are no longer needed; I'll just gracefully walk out the door and ride off into the sunset in my flying car.

"Winter Is Coming" - April 6, 2014
Post #1108063
Posted Thursday, May 12, 2011 3:07 PM
SSCrazy

SSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazySSCrazy

Last Login: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:08 AM
yup no DBA is the way to go - funny I always seem to end up in contracts with companies who thought that way! On the plus side it enables me to charge more < grin >
btw.
Cloud is a marketing ploy - if you're an international company ( my current client is active in nearly 100 countries ) and our data centre is based in the UK - I figure that counts as cloud as it's not in any of our offices and we all access it through the internet. Oh yes and I'm a DBA !

The GrumpyOldDBA
www.grumpyolddba.co.uk
http://sqlblogcasts.com/blogs/grumpyolddba/
Post #1108078
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Add to briefcase 123»»»

Permissions Expand / Collapse